Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway itinerary advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-itinerary-advice-needed-1204813/)

mjknycmjk Feb 18th, 2017 06:44 PM

Norway itinerary advice needed

We are a mid-40s couple, enjoy being active and love nature. We want to incorporate some hiking and kayaking into our trip. We are ok to spend a day or two viewing the beauty from trains and ferries, but don't want to spend our entire trip like that. Here is what I have come up with so far. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. In particular, are there any glacier walks accessible via public transportation from Balestrand? FYI, we arrive into Oslo (via ferry) and depart to the US from Bergen.

July 4 - Oslo
July 5 - Oslo
July 6 - Norway in Nutshell to Flam, then boat to Balestrand Sleep in Balestrand.
July 7 - Balestrand (Hike? kayak? Glacier hike?)
July 8 - Balestrand (Hike? Kayak? Glacier hike?)
July 9 - Boat to Flam, continue NIN to Bergen
July 10 - Explore Bergen
July 11 - Depart

Michael Feb 18th, 2017 08:38 PM

From my trip report:

"In Solvorn we stayed at Eplet, which is as LP described it. To elaborate: There is a renovated barn with three rooms with double beds and a dormitory with 7 single beds that share the shower and the two W.C.. The kitchen dining-living area is also shared, and I believe that the campers can use the kitchen also; there is a small campsite just below the barn. Most people are there for outdoor activities. One person had gone kayaking on a glacial lake the day it opened, and planned to go horseback riding that day. There are hiking trails indicated in the area, and the LP mentions bicycles available for riding around, although Solvorn is at the bottom of a long steep hill--biking on the other side of the fjord would make more sense. I do not recall the mini golf, but the living room has a climbing wall. Given its mention in more than one guidebook I suspect that reservations might be useful, even though we did not have any."

Perhaps a direct contact with Eplet might provide more information.

menachem Mar 8th, 2017 11:09 AM

I just wouldn't stay in Balestrand for more than one day. Bergen, instead: lovely city, but bring an umbrella.

historytraveler Mar 8th, 2017 11:26 AM

Bergen is a wonderful place, but I really loved Balestrand. I only spent one night there but could have easily stayed longer. Here are a few websites that might help in planning your itinerary.

www.jostedal.com. ( glacial walking/ guide )

en.sognefjord.no. ( good site for glacial walking and activities in the Sognefjord )

www.icetroll.com

www.visitnorwat.com. Sognefjord.

www.discoversognefjord.com

menachem Mar 8th, 2017 11:07 PM

People think: city, so, no options for hiking or outdoor pursuits. In Norway, that's not true: every City has its wilderness area. Bergen has too. Sognefjord is lovely.

mjknycmjk Mar 15th, 2017 07:47 PM

Thank you all for your feedback. After much consideration, we decided to stick with the itinerary in the original post. Between hiking, kayaking, glacier walking, etc., we expect we will have plenty to do to entertain ourselves in Balestrand for two days. Or we might just do nothing and enjoy that, too. No way to know if it was the right call foe us until we get there, but we will still have a full day to explore Bergen. We will just have to come back for another visit to see everything we missed the first time! We will report back after our trip this summer.