Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-itinerary-1374644/)

catherinehaas Jun 6th, 2017 11:14 AM

Norway Itinerary

I am reaching out for help. I am lost like never before on the itinerary for Norway. Here is what I have thus far:

Sept 7th Land Oslo
Hotel until 9th - this can be changed

Sept 9th Pick up rental car
Drive to Odda - plan on seeing sights along the way to Odda

Sept 10th Hike Trolltunga

Sept 11th Drive - this is where the plans get really fuzzy... I don't know if I should drive to Bergen
and head north on Hurtigruten or just keep the car and drive on towards Trondheim.

My concern with the cruise is a couple... 1st - does it go to all the fjords and will I be
stuck on someone's schedule (you get 10 mins in this port)... And the 2nd is the food.
I don't like seafood so I'm a bit concerned if I am stuck on a boat, there will be nothing
for me to eat.

I fly back on the 17th.

My main focus of this vacation is to take in the gorgeous beauty that is Norway. I don't mind small, quaint towns but not my main focus. I really want to see the gorgeous countryside.

Please help me!!! I am so far behind in scheduling.

Thank you!!!

BigRuss Jun 6th, 2017 12:20 PM

Completely unable to see how any cruise can go to "all the fjords" because Norway has 3,000 of them. The cruise company should be able to tell you what food it offers.

dyoll Jun 7th, 2017 07:04 AM

Hurtigruten is the coastal steamer ferry - does not visit fjords except that in the summer season (to end August) it visits Geirangerfjord and the rest of the year Hjørundfjord.
One-way hire is expensive.
September is getting late in the season - autumn storms on their way - might be pretty wild on Trolltunga, but you may also be lucky.
With good weather you could do a round trip from Oslo covering a few fjords and plenty of gorgeous beauty. Keep daily driving times to around 4 - 5 hrs net driving if you want time to stop and enjoy.

catherinehaas Jun 8th, 2017 05:33 AM

Ok. So, no to the cruise then. What that leaves me thinking is either I can fly north to see Lofoten / Tromoso or I can just stick to renting the car once I leave Oslo and driving everywhere with the most northern city being Trondheim.

Should I fly north? Is it worth it? Or just stick to areas to the south of Trondheim?

Thank you!

dyoll Jun 8th, 2017 06:41 AM

If you want to fly north then you should arrange a through ticket either on way in or out to avoid a wasted night and a travel day.
Trondheim is not of the greatest interest if you are touring the fjords.
A typical round tour from Oslo would be Oslo - Åndalsnes - Geiranger - Helesylt (by tourist ferry) - Ålesund - Fjærland - Bergen - Oslo. This is just a general route, not a list of places to stay - you should take minimum a week. Cut out Ålesund if you have less time. 10 days is few to include both fjords and the north.

catherinehaas Jun 8th, 2017 07:11 AM

Trondheim was just going to be a place to sleep with touring the area. Do you recommend a different central location to explore that area? I have days already for Oslo and Odda. Planning maybe staying near Geiranger and exploring there before going on to Trondheim (again just a place to sleep) for various day trips north of Trondheim (maybe Nomsos).

dyoll Jun 10th, 2017 11:11 AM

There is no central location to explore the area, you need the tour as suggested previously. Trondheim is a day's drive out of your way - 2 day's wasted for a night's sleep? Namsos return would be 7 - 8 hrs net driving - far more than recommended for a day trip. You are just not giving yourself time for anything except the main area of fjords.