Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway in Nutshell (after cruise) Logistics Help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-in-nutshell-after-cruise-logistics-help-needed-581513/)

SteveGC Jan 14th, 2006 05:39 AM

Norway in Nutshell (after cruise) Logistics Help needed

Too much luggage (from a cruise) to handle on our planned Norway in a Nutshell trip! We'll be leaving a Princess Cruise on a Tuesday in August, 2006. Over night in a hotel near the train station. On Wednesday, check luggage at train station and do the Nutshell, spending the night in Bergen. Thursday evening, fly back to Oslo. Over night at hotel near airport and get luggage from train station. Friday at 7:30 AM, plane leaves for home (USA). Seems complicated but workable. Any suggestions are welcome.

Marija Jan 14th, 2006 06:57 AM

Instead of spending Wednesday night in Bergen, consider spending the night at the Stalheim Hotel. It's one of the last stops on Norway in a Nutshell. The next morning you could catch a bus into Bergen, spend the day there and fly out that evening. The Stalheim setting is gorgeous, see
www.stalheim.com/engelsk

SteveGC Jan 14th, 2006 11:59 AM

Thanks for your response. We had considered staying at the Stalheim Hotel. Two questions: Is the train ride nicer than the bus ride from this area to Bergen? Is the scenery much different at the Stalheim than elsewhere on the Norway in a nutshell journey?

wasleys Jan 15th, 2006 08:47 AM

Norway in a Nutshell consists of a loop off the Oslo-Bergen railway. You can do it from Bergen and back or as through run on the railway. Sounds like you are doing Oslo-Bergen. You will leave the main line at Myrdal and take the Flåm Railway down its amazing route to Flåm. Then a ferry to Gudvangen, then a bus up a corkscrew past Stalheim to Voss (this is best done the other way, I think, but you are going the wrong way). Then a train to Bergen.

Stalheim is in the middle of the bus section. The general scenery there is pleasant, but what is stunning is its location on the precipice which the bus has just come up with a view down a steep valley. You would have to check if you can break journey there.

Train ride from Voss to Bergen is pleasant, mainly along the edge of fjords. I don't think if there is a bus from there to Bergen, you would probably use the Nutshell service (an ordinary public bus) and still have to change at Voss.

Had you thought of flying to Bergen and doing Nutshell back to Oslo?

wasleys Jan 15th, 2006 08:49 AM

Should have added that some trains need reservation. Some Voss-Bergen trains are locals (basic but OK) so this is not needed. Check.

sheilakay Jul 24th, 2006 05:53 AM

I could use some help with this Norway in a Nutshell thing too. I'm planning a week in Sweden/Norway prior to joining another tour. Here is the plan. We have 5 days of ScanRail Will it work?
30. Jul. Arrive Stockholm, Nordic Sea Hotel
31. Jul. Train to Oslo, stay at Scandia Byporten
01. Aug. Norway in a Nutshell, stay in Bergen at the Grand Hotel Terminus
02. Aug. Bergen to Oslo train (we kind of want to see the sights by day), stay at Byporten again, pick up luggage there
03. Aug. Oslo to Goteborg, need hotel
04. Aug. Goteborg to Copenhagen

Or should we stay another day in Oslo instead and do Oslo to Copenhagen as one trip?

(By the way, we join a Cosmos tour is 05. Aug to 20. Aug starting in Copenhagen and ending in Stockholm)

Okay, does anyone know how to buy the additional tickets/get reservations when you have the ScanRail? Should I do it in the US or wait for Oslo or Myrdal?