Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway in December (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-in-december-16545/)

Kimberly Peterson Aug 19th, 1997 10:38 AM

Norway in December

My husband & I will be taking a trip to Norway in December. Part of the time we will be in Oslo (Dec. 11 - 14), part in Trondheim (Dec. 15 - 19), part in Bergen (Dec 19 - 22). I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on things to see or do & also on hotels (that don't cost a fortune preferrably). In any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Kimberly

Tricia Aug 27th, 1997 09:07 PM

Hi, Have a AAA club book for Europe and under Bergen Norway its says: "points of interest include the Bergen 'Art Gallery';Bergen Fisheries Museum, Rosenkrantz Tower, built in 1563 and another popular excursion is to nerby Fana for the Fana Folklore Evening, a program tht includes a visit to the towns 800-year-old church for an organ recital and to a rustic banquet hall for dancing and a sampling of typical Norwegian foods. Buses leave from Festplassen, i City Park, --reservations can be made through hotels.

nils johnsen Oct 4th, 1997 01:11 PM

I live in Bergen and will recommend:

1. The "Bryggen" from the Hanseatic time (centre)
2. The Hanseatic Museum (centre)
3. Edvard Grieg's home: "Troldhaugen" (10 km from the city centre)
4. "Fisketorget": The fish market (centre)
5. "Floybanen". A cable line from the centre to the mountain of Floyen 300 meters above the sea level: Beatiful views!
6. "Fantoft stavkirke": A stave church about 8 kilometres from the centre of the city

Welcome to Bergen!

Nils Johnsen Oct 4th, 1997 01:23 PM

I am sorry: I forgot to recommend cheap hotels: Try "Hordaheimen Hotel" in C. Sundt street no 18 or "Skansen Pensjonat" in Vetrlidsalmenning no. 29. They give much value for money. The hotel prices in Norway are high. These hotels/pensions are simple, but nice.You can take a taxi to both of the hotels from the centre: Take the airport bus from the airport of Flesland to the centre: It costs 6 usd pr. person. I dont exactly know the hotel prices. But I guess about 5o usd for the hotel/pension recommended above.In a four star hotel in Bergen you have to pay at least 120 usd

Scott Oct 16th, 1997 05:24 PM

I think Norway is the most beautiful country I have ever seen, especially from the coastal steamer from Bergen, in particular the southern coast (though I did get seasick). Bergen is wonderful. The above two posts from the native dweller is accurate. The part I liked the best was old town, near the fish market and the harbor. I stayed in a guest house within walking distance from downtown. The funicular up the hill the other post mentions is well worth the modest toll. The views are spectaular. Oslo is very beautiful, also, as is Trondheim. However, everything, especially food, is very expensive. I was there in May a few years ago. At a small grocery store I saw a head of iceberg lettuce that I would consider throwing away if I found it in my refrigerator. They wanted $5.00 for it! Another thing-I was there for a week before I noticed that NO one had brown eyes! Brown hair, yes, brown eyes, no. But, it's a beautiful country. Another thing: It's going to be pretty dark there. I was in Iceland (about the same lattitude) in mid-January this year, and the sun rose at 10:30 am and set at 4:00 pm. Be prepared for cold weather, too! Enjoy! And try to see the Northern Lights! Wonderful!