Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway in a NutShell vs. Geiranger & Norway in a Nutshell (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-in-a-nutshell-vs-geiranger-and-norway-in-a-nutshell-835495/)

nannibray Apr 13th, 2010 08:26 AM

Norway in a NutShell vs. Geiranger & Norway in a Nutshell

We have 6 nights in Norway in early July. Will begin with 2 nights in Oslo following a Baltic Cruise.
My present plan is:
2 nights Olso. Nutshell tour to Flam, then ferry to Balestrand for 2 nights (visit Vik and do glacier tour). Leave Balestrand to continue Nutshell to Bergen by transfering at Midtfjord to Naeroyfjord and Gudvangen and on to Bergen. Final 2 nights in Bergen.
Fly home from Bergen. (this is set)

However ... last night I came across the Geiganger & Norway in an Nutshell Tour and am starting to "rethink" .
A possible option would be to take the Geiganger/Nutshell tour from Olso to Alesund, spend the night, then Hurtigruten boat thru the Geiranger Fjord , sleeping 1 night on the boat to Bergen. 2 nights Bergen and do the Bergen/Bergen Nutshell tour.
Fly home from Bergen.

Would there be any advantages for doing this route instead of the first?
Would we be too rushed? Less time to really see Bergen since we arrive at 14:30
and leave next a.m. for the Nutshell tour? Is Geiranger really a "do not miss" part of Norway? Is it
better than the UNESCO Naeroyfjord? Would we exhaust ourselves? We are Seniors.

Thanks for any comments, opinions, and information!
Nannibray

Michael Apr 13th, 2010 09:06 AM

If you are going to do Gairanger fjord, I do not think that it is essential to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour. You might want to read my trip report; just click on my name to find it.

nannibray Apr 13th, 2010 11:17 AM

Thanks Michael. Read your report - also great pictures.
So, what do you think of us just staying with the original plan to do the Norway in Nutshell? Is it just as good as Geiranger Fjord? I think the Naeroyfjord seems more accessible and perhaps less costly?

FACS Apr 13th, 2010 11:43 AM

We visited both and my only complaint with Geiranger fjord was when a smoky, smelly cruise ship pulled in and parked for a day or so. We were there 2 nights so we got to experience the beauty before the stink arrived. This was the end of June. Someone told us there are 2 or 3 cruise ships parked later in the summer...yucko! Enjoy the tour of the Naeroyfjord, the feeding of the goats, the upclose waterfall and walk to the tiny church!

Michael Apr 13th, 2010 12:14 PM

nannibray,

Since I went by car, I could not compare public costs, although we did go by car because we felt that we could do more for the same price as taking the Hurtigruten coastal trip for two days.

We preferred the brief tour of the Gairanger fjord to the Norway in a Nutshell tour. If you do see the Gairanger fjord, you might want to simply do your own travel arrangements, perhaps to Vik (there is a stave church there) and Balestrand (people rave about it), returning via fast boat to Bergen. Or take the train to Myrdal, and do a round trip on the train from Myrdal to Flam and then take the train back to Bergen (assuming that there are no real scheduling problems in catching the train back to Bergen. The train ride is the one thing that is different from other fjord experiences.

JulieVikmanis Jul 9th, 2010 04:53 PM

Hey, Nannibray, it's time for a report of your cruise. Let us know which of the ports you most enjoyed, where you dined, what you saw and where you're planning to return to. I'd love to get some up to date info. We return to Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen in about a week. Could use some info on the best places you found, especially for dining.