Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway in a Nutshell - HELP!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-in-a-nutshell-help-584941/)

Simone Jan 25th, 2006 06:26 AM

Norway in a Nutshell - HELP!!

I want to do Norway in a Nutshell, but I couldnīt understand how it really works.
My departure port will be Copenhagen (from a cruise). I think Iīll take a train to Oslo. Then what? Which tour? Stay overnight where? I donīt need to be back to Copenhagen. I can fly home (Brazil) from another city. I would like some directions, suggestions, please...

thereadbaron Jan 25th, 2006 06:34 AM

"A combination of spectacular train rides and equally impressive trips by boat and bus, Norway in a Nutshell is one of the most famous tours in Norway."

Combine traveling by rail (2nd class), ferry, and bus through spectacular Norway scenery.
You can choose from five itineraries, stopovers permitted:

Bergen-Bergen
Voss-Voss
Oslo-Voss-Bergen
Oslo-Voss-Oslo
Oslo-Voss-Bergen-Oslo

Found this on Rail Europe site...

wasleys Jan 25th, 2006 07:18 AM

thereadbaron has explained the options.

The Nutshell trip is basically one of a number of journeys on the Oslo-Bergen railway with a loop off as below.

The loop can be done in either direction. The one we have normally done is: Leave mainline at Voss, bus to Gudvangen, ferry to Flåm, Flåm Railway to Myrdal, rejoin main line.

We think it is better that way round as you see more going down the hairpins at Stalheim on the bus (try to get front seats). However the actual main option you choose may determine this for you.

Note that some trains will require seat reservation, but not locals between Bergen and Voss. Check timetables.

This may be of interest:

http://homepage.mac.com/wasleys/norw...7nutshell.html

Bergen is a splendid city if you have a few days to spare there ( http://www.visitbergen.com ) You might want to consider flying to Bergen from Copenhagen rather than train to Oslo.

Simone Jan 26th, 2006 01:33 AM

Tnks Wasleys

Wilbur Jan 27th, 2006 06:25 PM

In July of 2005 we did the Nutshell, 2 adults and 2 teenages. I was confused too but we had no trouble. We reserved tickets before we went. We started our tour of Norway with a ferry from Hirtshals, Denmark to Bergen and ending up with a DFDS Seaways overnight cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen. So I will try to explain my trip in reverse to you since you are STARTING in Copenhagen. The Nutshell goes both ways, so it makes no difference.

We stayed in Oslo at the Hotel Edderkoppen, it was a short cab ride from the dock and nicely located downtown. Very clean and comfortable, easy to walk to downtown shopping and sites. Someone else might have another suggestion. We took a cab to the train station where you will start the Norway in a Nutshell part by taking the train to Myrdal. It was about 6 hours and very beautiful. Over mountains and such. Very nice. I think you need reservations for the train. Seats are reserved. (Take some snacks, food is expensive on the train, also the station at Myrdal was so crowed it was hard to purchase food.)

Myrdal is very small, hardly anything but the train station but very busy with people from all over the world. At Myrdal you will wait for the Flam Railroad train. Very, very scenic 40 minute ride, gos only 20 very steep miles ( waterfalls on every turn, long valleys, mountains etc.) and will take you to the tourist town of Flam. We ate lunch at Flam and then took the ferry on the fjord-- Sognefjorden the longest fjord in Europe. It was very, very scenic. You can just stay on the ferry all the way to Bergen, but we wanted to spend some time on the fjord, so we got off in Balestrand.

We stayed 2 nights at the Balestrand Inn. A FANTASTIC PLACE, friendly, family owned. ask for a fjord view room, although the mountain views are nice also. www.balestrand.com [email protected]

We walked around Balestrand, took sea kayaking lessons, and one day took the ferry to Fjaerland to see the glacier's and Glacier Museum. Fjaerland is also a book town, many many used bookstores in the small town. ( all different languages)

From Balestrand, you get back on the Ferry and it will take you to Bergen. Bergen is a beautiful city built on several mountains. Lots to see and do. The ferry lets you off right by the older part of town .We stayed at Hotel Hordaheimen, about a 2 minute walk from the ferry dock. You could easily spend a couple days in Bergen. Don't miss the fish market and the funicular- like a trolly to the top of one mountain.

As I mentioned we came to Bergen from Denmark, but as I understand it you could take a fast train back to Oslo or fly out from Bergen.
Some people also do some bus travel on the Norway in a Nutshell trip, but we didn't. Loved being on the water all that time. Stay on the fjord if you have time.

Simone Jan 28th, 2006 01:57 AM

Tnks Wilbur!

Marija Jan 28th, 2006 06:09 AM

One of the most scenic parts of the Norway in a Nutshell tour is the boat down the Naerfjord (sp). You miss this if you take the ferry straight to Balestrand from Flam. I recommend that you take the boat ride on the Naerfjord, the bus to the Stalheim and then you can overnight at the Stalheim or continue by bus/train to Bergen. If you want to go to Balestrand you can take a bus/ferry from the Stalheim the next morning.

Wilbur Jan 28th, 2006 10:57 AM

Well it's not like I needed an excuse to want to go back to Norway, but now Marija I have one , Thanks.-- we missed the Nordfjord! I was just looking it up in my Fodor's book and it talked about plane rides over the fjords. THAT sounds interesting also.

SteveGC Apr 26th, 2006 06:05 PM

We're going to take Norway in a Nutshell at the end of our cruise in August. The cruise really ends in Copenhagen but the day before it ends, the ship (Star Princess, assuming it's in service) is in Oslo. We're going to leave the ship in Oslo and check all of our cruise luggage in Oslo before heading across Norway toward Bergen, the next day. From Bergen, we'll fly back to Oslo, get our luggage & fly home to USA. Because we're using frequent flier miles, we can't fly out of Bergen. We hope it all works out. We didn't want to take all that luggage across Norway.

Bjorn Apr 27th, 2006 04:42 AM

If both Stalheim and Balestrand are options, you also could go by bus from Stalheim over the Vikafjell (Vika mountains) down to Vik, from where a short ferry ride will take you over the Sognefjord to Balestrand. Great scenaries! The Gudvangen-Balestrand of course also is beatiful, but thn you have to backtrack the whole Naroy Fjord.

Bjorn, Oslo

CMA05 Apr 27th, 2006 02:28 PM

Do you have to book the trip in advance? The rate I have is NOK 1825, is this the standard rate? With this, are all the transportations included? Also, with whom should I book it with?

Bjorn Apr 28th, 2006 06:16 AM

You do not have to book in advance, but if yo go in the middle of the tourist season, it might be clever.

NOK 1825 is for the Oslo-Nutshell-Oslo roundtrip. From Bergen the price is beneath the half, and from Voss even less expensive. Some NOK 500, I think.

Fjord Tours will give all the info you need. Their Nutshell web-site contains tons of useful info:
http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp

Welcome to Norway!

Bjorn, Oslo

wasleys Apr 28th, 2006 08:26 AM

Seat reservations are needed on some trains on the main line.

Michael

Bjorn Apr 29th, 2006 02:33 AM

Yes. On the Oslo-Bergen express train seat reservation always is needed. The Voss-Bergen leg (and maybe also Bergen-Myrdal) also is trafficed frequently by local trains with no seat reservation. A set reservation never should cost more than NOK 30-40
Bjorn, Oslo