Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Norway in 10 days, please advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/norway-in-10-days-please-advise-1047062/)

slavag Jun 2nd, 2015 02:06 PM

Norway in 10 days, please advise

Hello everyone. I am travelling to Norway at the end of August with my wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 6.
We are pretty active, even kids are and would like to grasp a little bit of nature and culture. By looking at all the posts it sees like Norway has everything and so much of it that I got disoriented. I would really appreciate and advice from the experts on how to plan our vacation considering that we flight in and out of Oslo. And we would like to also include some hiking, biking, kayaking. and would prefer at least some off beaten passes . . Also would like to know whether renting a car and drive around is a good option. thank you in advance

PalenQ Jun 2nd, 2015 02:37 PM

To me a highlight for all ages would be the Norway in a Nutshell Tour - which cn be done on your own - from Bergen - take the Oslo-Bergen train maybe - one of the most scenic trains in Europe or drive to Bergen, one of the nicest towns in Scandinavia IME.

NIN involves a train ride - a mountain bus ride down to Norway's largest fjord at Gudvagen for a two-hour or so boat ride on the fjord (may well see whales or at least their spouts!) to Flam for a thrilling mountain railway ride up to Myrdhal for trains back to Bergen - even if driving you may want to do this awesome adventure - one of the top top things I've don ein decades of incessant European travels!

How long are you going for - a crucial bit of info to answer your questions.

For lots of trains and the Oslo-Bergen ride and the fjord tour check these informative sites: www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com. Driving is easy it seems in Norway - not a very dense country population wise and with superb highways everywhere though going can be slow in rugged coastal and mountainous areas.

The weather can deteriorate quickly in September IME so do your outdoor activities when the weather is fine - don't wait or you may get a wet surprise - you never know.

Norway is one of the world's MOST expensive countries - bring in anything you can that you will need right off - toiletries, etc. And if into booze hit the duty-free at the airport as booze prices are out of this world otherwise.

colduphere Jun 2nd, 2015 04:35 PM

This area doesn't get recommended here very often but you can rent a car and reach Jotunheimen National Park in four hours from Oslo. Lots of hiking, biking and rafting there (not sure about kayaking). The six year old might be a bit young for some of the hikes, though the Norwegians would disagree strongly with that.

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/where-...n/jotunheimen/

From there you could decide whether you want to make the trip to the west coast.

For some pictures of the area you can press on my name for our trip report.

slavag Jun 2nd, 2015 06:23 PM

Thank you guys for your input.
PalenQ, we will be in Norway 10 days
Colduphere we will check out the park, looks interesting

PalenQ Jun 3rd, 2015 11:01 AM

10 days - say three days in Oslo though IME 1 or 2 could suffice especially if nore into outdoors than cities.

Maybe 2-3 days in the Bergen/fjord area - there are other fjord excursions available from there too.

And some days at places like colduphere suggests.

Sweden ain't far from Norway and a city like Gothenburg is just a short drive or train ride from Oslo and is a really really sweet old port town.

slavag Jun 3rd, 2015 11:51 AM

Alesund. should i go there or not?
also, any intersting car road trip?
rallevenger ?

Vital1975 Jun 5th, 2015 02:43 PM

Rent a caravan,e.g. there http://www.motorhomenorway.com, and you will be very flexible with your itinerary.

PalenQ Jun 6th, 2015 04:26 AM

Campgrounds are great for kids that age - will have lots of other kids their ages to play around with - camping is a way to like move into a Norwegian community.

slavag Jun 10th, 2015 04:58 PM

Very interesting idea. How is the parking inside Oslo, Bergen, Alexander. Is there any map on where to go on caravan?

nanabee Jun 10th, 2015 06:42 PM

I can recommend a wonderful B&B in Bergen. It's called Two Sisters (To Sostres) and is behind the Bryggen in a lovely residential neighborhood. Ask them about cars and parking. They have an apt to rent on a daily basis too for larger families. If you are interested I try to book early though. Bergen is a lovely city and we'll worth a few days visit. Others have given better travel advice and I second the NIN trips. The fjords are spectacular.

I had to laugh when cold said some of the activities might much for a 6 yr old but the Norwegians would disagree. 2 or 3 mile hikes in the mountains for pre- scholars is the norm. I know because the day I visited my grandsons preschool that was the plan. I said I definitely was not going!! Plus it was muddy and rainy. They thought I was nuts.

nanabee Jun 10th, 2015 06:45 PM

Oh and like previously mentioned take lots of money or everything with you. You'll find you probably won't eat out much either. But it's a wonderful could try, safe, friendly people, beautiful and pristine countryside.

nanabee Jun 10th, 2015 06:46 PM

Could try = country

slavag Jun 11th, 2015 12:15 PM

looks like renting a mobile home is a great idea. gives me freedom and comfort.i was playiong with an idea of taking scenery train from oslo to bergen. do you guys think road trip in motor home from oslo to bergen will satisfy me instead. is the highway runs alone train tracks. also i like an idea that you can park almost anywhere in country side , does anyone can recommend interesting overnight stays in the motorhome. thanks in advance

dyoll Jun 14th, 2015 03:15 AM

Hiring a motor home in Norway is incredibly expensive and you might have issues driving on narrow twisting roads with a big vehicle. Road trips are not particularly child friendly. It would be cheaper to hire a car and stay in cabins which you find at campsites all over the fjords area. Staying a few days at one place is more relaxing than packing and unpacking every night. Children will meet playmates at campsites and you can take short day tours.

PalenQ Jun 14th, 2015 04:52 AM

Children will meet playmates at campsites and you can take short day tours.>

? - Norwegians speak IME an uncannilly good American English but do young kids also do that? Curious.

nanabee Jun 14th, 2015 08:05 AM

It is my understanding that all school age kids in Norway are taught English and Norwegian side by side and are fluent in both when they graduate. School starts for kids around age 6 ish.

Pre-K schools generally are taught in Norwegian. Most kids under age 6 won't have a great deal of English language skills. But their older siblings and everyone else in the country will. :)

slavag Jun 14th, 2015 08:52 AM

Yes. May kids speak fluent English.

PalenQ Jun 14th, 2015 11:49 AM

Neat and sweet!

dyoll Jun 15th, 2015 03:32 AM

There will probably be a majority of non-Norwegians at the campsites especially in the fjord tourist areas. Norwegians will be either in their own cabins or camping along the coast (if not travelling abroad to get a bit of guaranteed sun).

nanabee Jun 15th, 2015 07:37 AM

Almost all Norwegians and most Europeans speak English so that won't be a problem at all.