I wasn't going to post this yet because I haven't reviewed but a fraction of my photos so far. With yesterday's tragedy I thought I'd post them now anyway. Such a beautiful and peaceful country.
I felt very safe the whole time I was there - country, city. In fact in one hotel where we were to set off from a hike I took my Garmin watch off in the restroom of the hotel (near lobby) in order to reapply sunscreen. I forgot to put the watch back on. It was still there when I got back.
Brief summary: Norway has been on my visit list for some time, primarily to see the Fjords. I knew very little about Norway before this trip and my one-week visit has whetted my appetite for more.
Doing a hiking tour with Backroads is a great way to see the countryside. Hiking is a must-do, here, and it's good to have a company who knows the ropes and who will take care of you. Someone to lug your luggage, know where the good hikes are, and bonus: a group of like-minded people for camaraderie on the hikes. Their hotel picks were fantastic (more on them later) and we lucked out with the weather. Eight nights in Norway and only one day of rain (a little bit on a few other days but at night which didn't affect us).
Flight into Bergen, one full day/night on my own.
Next morning I met the group in Voss.
Five nights with Backroads. We stayed at the Hotel Stalheim one night; two nights at the Walaker Hotel in Solvorn; one night at the Hotel Mundal in Mundal (also called Fjaerland); one night at the Hotel Viknes in Balestrand. Each hotel was chosen for both comfort and for the history. More on them later.
Last two nights on my own in Oslo at the Grand Hotel Rica. I flew to Oslo from Bergen.
We didn't merely hike on this trip, we also did a good morning of glacier climbing (Nigardsbreen - breen means glacier) and had a number of Fjord boat rides. In all, I saw three new UNESCO World Heritage sites on this trip, too.
I'll fill in more details about the trip later as well as continue to update the photos on flickr. If you click the link below you will get a smattering of photos but by the time I'm done I imagine I'll have three times as many included.
Enjoy the photos - it really is a beautiful country. So sad, so very sad for the people of Norway today.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 2 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 3 Which Area in London?
- 4 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 5 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 6 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 7 family trip to Germany and more
- 8 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 9 Trains - website?
- 10 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 11 Paris Apartment
- 12 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 13 Barcelona to Malaga
- 14 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 15 Milan airport--which one
- 16 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 17 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 18 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 19 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 20 1st time to Europe
- 21 Paris November 2017
- 22 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 23 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 24 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 25 St, Goar or Bacharach
Norway: Hiking trip with Backroads; photos