Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Norway help..How expensive to visit? How do we best do this itinerary?

Norway help..How expensive to visit? How do we best do this itinerary?

Aug 27th, 2019, 01:48 PM
  #41  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,921
An October week's rental car from Bergen to Trondheim cost $238 for a standard shift economy rental from Avis as per the Autoeurope web site. That is not excessive, and there does not seem to have a one way fee to pay. Rates may be different where large cities are not involved, such as renting a car in the Lofoten islands.

I do not see an advantage to renting a car and then taking it on a ferry (if allowed) to go from one port to the other, essentially to skip some of the drive.
Michael is online now  
Aug 27th, 2019, 02:09 PM
  #42  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,943
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
An October week's rental car from Bergen to Trondheim cost $238 for a standard shift economy rental from Avis as per the Autoeurope web site. That is not excessive, and there does not seem to have a one way fee to pay. Rates may be different where large cities are not involved, such as renting a car in the Lofoten islands.

I do not see an advantage to renting a car and then taking it on a ferry (if allowed) to go from one port to the other, essentially to skip some of the drive.
Maybe better scenery on the boat than drive some stretch? Or maybe you get to really see instead of concentrating on driving, especially if the roads are winding and you can't look around unless you stop often.
scrb11 is offline  
Aug 27th, 2019, 02:31 PM
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 20,921
Originally Posted by scrb11 View Post
Maybe better scenery on the boat than drive some stretch? Or maybe you get to really see instead of concentrating on driving, especially if the roads are winding and you can't look around unless you stop often.
I doubt it. Taken by car, as were all my pictures between Bergen and Trondheim with the exception of the boat tour of Geiranger fjord:


https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpdzmt7.

And if cost is an issue, I would think twice about paying for the car on a ferry going from port to port. Even local ferry crossings tended to be quite expensive.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 27th, 2019 at 02:34 PM.
Michael is online now  
Aug 27th, 2019, 09:53 PM
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,854
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I doubt it. Taken by car, as were all my pictures between Bergen and Trondheim with the exception of the boat tour of Geiranger fjord:

[snip]

And if cost is an issue, I would think twice about paying for the car on a ferry going from port to port. Even local ferry crossings tended to be quite expensive.
I do think the Bergen - Trondheim part is in some ways the most "boring" Hurtigruten stretch. After Trondheim is a different matter. So maybe pick up Hurtigruten from Trondheim and do day sailings, or the odd overnight instead. I would never take a car on Hurtigruten: capacity is very limited and you may find there's no space. Hurtigruten schedules are like clockwork, so that's fairly easy to plan an "coast hopping" itinerary around. Again the remark that the base of Hurtigen is "public transport", and not "cruise".
menachem is online now  
Oct 9th, 2019, 04:09 PM
  #45  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 302
Thank you so much Lofln, very helpful! And to all of the others who have responded. Sorry for the late response, we had kids start school right after posting and it has been crazy since. I'll research all of this in depth.
JES28 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:20 PM.