Norway/Finland the midnight sun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on going to Scandinavia next year. We would like tips about seeing the midnight sun. Is it better to see the midnight sun in Norway or Finland? What is the difference between the two places, or is the midnight sun almost the same in Norway and Finland? Is the midnight sun worth seeing? Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi G,

If you stand at the border between Norway and Finland you will see the exact same Sun.

Is the midnight sun worth seeing?

There are those who have found it not unattractive.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:28 AM
Jed

If you go, make sure that the midnight sun can be seen at that date where you are. It doesn't matter which country, although if you are on Norway's coast you can see it just above the water.

Is the midnight sun worth seeing? Only if you think so.

Having seen it several times, I feel it leads to a greater understanding of the enormity of the world and man's place in it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
ira

Dear jed,

Good advice.

I think that if you look up "enormity", you will switch to "immensity".

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Jed

I sit corrected. :-<
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 06:48 AM

Ira,
Isn't either word correct?

Jed,
I have wanted to see the midnight sun for a long time. Hopefully some day I will.
Robbyn

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: enor·mi·ty
Pronunciation: i-'nor-m&-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
1 : an outrageous, improper, vicious, or immoral act <the enormities of state power -- Susan Sontag> <other enormities too juvenile to mention -- Richard Freedman>
2 : the quality or state of being immoderate, monstrous, or outrageous; especially : great wickedness <the enormity of the crimes committed during the Third Reich -- G. A. Craig>
3 : the quality or state of being huge : IMMENSITY
4 : a quality of momentous importance
usage Enormity, some people insist, is improperly used to denote large size. They insist on enormousness for this meaning, and would limit enormity to the meaning "great wickedness." Those who urge such a limitation may not recognize the subtlety with which enormity is actually used. It regularly denotes a considerable departure from the expected or normal <they awakened; they sat up; and then the enormity of their situation burst upon them. "How did the fire start?" -- John Steinbeck>. When used to denote large size, either literal or figurative, it usually suggests something so large as to seem overwhelming <no intermediate zone of study. Either the enormity of the desert or the sight of a tiny flower -- Paul Theroux> <the enormity of the task of teachers in slum schools -- J. B. Conant> and may even be used to suggest both great size and deviation from morality <the enormity of existing stockpiles of atomic weapons -- New Republic>. It can also emphasize the momentousness of what has happened <the sombre enormity of the Russian Revolution -- George Steiner> or of its consequences <perceived as no one in the family could the enormity of the misfortune -- E. L. Doctorow>.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:11 AM
ira

Hi Marlie,

def 3 is totally, completely, entirely and utterly wrong.

One views the immensity of the Universe and realizes how small one is. One views the enormity of the Stalin era and relizes how lucky one is.

Def 4 could be argued, but I reject it.

Consider the examples, they all fit in with definition 2, "the quality or state of being immoderate, monstrous, or outrageous" not just very large.

See http://www.cjr.org/tools/lc/enormity.asp

I prefer "immensity" to "enormousness"

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM

Hi Ira,

I understand there is great controversy over the meaning of enormity, but can we disagree with the definition of the Webster Dictionary? I suppose we can, but isn’t that what we use to define our words? The Oxford English Dictionary also as two meanings for enormity, the second being, huge. Enormity started out as meaning only wickedness or extent of something bad, but has evolved to mean great vastness as well.

I suppose I will use enormous instead of enormity when talking about size.

Jed was expressing his feelings to help someone. Sorry to go on about this, I just don’t think it was appropriate to correct him in this instance.

Robbyn
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
Jed

I looked 'enormity' up on Answers.com, and this is part of what I got:

"USAGE NOTE Enormity is frequently used to refer simply to the property of being great in size or extent, but many would prefer that enormousness (or a synonym such as immensity) be used for this general sense and that enormity be limited to situations that demand a negative moral judgment, as in Not until the war ended and journalists were able to enter Cambodia did the world really become aware of the enormity of Pol Pot's oppression. Fifty-nine percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of enormity as a synonym for immensity in the sentence At that point the engineers sat down to design an entirely new viaduct, apparently undaunted by the enormity of their task. This distinction between enormity and enormousness has not always existed historically, but nowadays many observe it. Writers who ignore the distinction, as in the enormity of the President's election victory or the enormity of her inheritance, may find that their words have cast unintended aspersions or evoked unexpected laughter."

So I bowed to ira's correction, as you can see, in good humor.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
ira

Hi Marlie,

I did put a smiley face.

> can we disagree with the definition of the Webster Dictionary?<

Yup, and should.

Contemporary editors of dictionaries describe their works as "descriptive, not prescriptive". That is, they are reporting on current usege, not formal usege.

Some of them will even overrule their usage panels.

How's this for an example?

"The enormity of their winnings presently impacted them", where what was meant was "The size of their winnings immediately elated them".

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:49 AM

The mindnite sun is both enormus and immensous! Stop being so egregious! We have scene it. it keeps it light all nigth long having both suns. We had to put the curtiains (thick) on our windows when we were in the Scandinavio last time for it!!