Northwestern Airfare Coupon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister-in-law got a coupon which seems to entitle 2 people travelling together to go from the west coast to Europe, in May (ie, high season) for under $600 dollars each. Does anyone know anything about this?<BR><BR>Thanks,
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I've flown NWA out of Salt Lake to Frankfurt several times in the past year - both times around $350 including taxes. (once in April) I just keep an eye open for their last minute specials. The itinerary is usually crappy but the fares are good. Is May high season - I didn't think so.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Hi there:<BR><BR><BR>Escholtiza:<BR><BR>Where did your sister-in-law get this coupon? Do you know? I know that Northwest does send promotional coupons out from time to time (my brother went to Spain from Dallas last year in March for about $450), so it's probably legit if that's what you're asking. When we've gotten them, they've come in the mail as part of some mail-order promotional type thing. Is that how your sis-in-law got hers?<BR><BR>Jennie
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jennie,
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

sorry-yes, she got in the mail.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:14 PM
rex

I've gotten them in the mail on more than one occasion, and I never had the right coupon for the right time of year to meet my needs. They're legitimate. I've used them for domestic travel.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Just got one in the mail in a VAL PAC of coupons-- it is also from Northwest and it is legit.....
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:30 PM

First of all, May is certainly not high season. High season in most of Europe really doesn't start until after July 4th. There are always bargains in May, and often into June. The coupons are legit - but that is not a huge bargain. It is about what you'd expect to pay on most airlines, even without coupons.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:31 PM

I have to disagree. From the WEST coast? UNDER $600? in MAY?<BR><BR>I'm having finding much to choose from from the EAST coast under $600 in May.<BR><BR>I don't think it's &quot;about what you'd expect to pay on most airlines&quot;.<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 10:18 PM

toulafan: I fly to Europe and/or the UK from the West Coast a few times every year. The very most I have EVER paid for coach (outside of August) is $630. I have flown AA, UA, VS, and BA out of Sacramento, SFO, LAX and Las Vegas. Of course premium Economy is more - but for a regular coach seat you can get to London or Paris for between $550 and $600 without searching too hard. And when you really dig you can find fares around $500 and sometime less.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:21 AM

May be a bird in the hand if you &quot;really dig and look&quot;. With the airfare climate right now, who knows if fares will be what they have been in the past. That seems a good fare from the west coast particularly for May--make sure it goes that far into the year.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 03:11 AM

I find those Northwest zone coupons floating around from time to time. There seemed to be a period of time when they were less common and now they're showing up more frequently. You can &quot;test&quot; the fare by plugging an itinerary into the fare finder on the home page at www.nwa.com. Just enter the reference code number and certificate number into the respective boxes. Then try the same itinerary without the coupon. <BR><BR>I agree with Gretchen's &quot;bird in the hand&quot; take on it and as Rex says, there are also some options for domestic fares. After you puchase with it, the unique certificate number will be &quot;used&quot;. There are expiration dates, of course. I like to keep them around and it seems that they almost invariably end up being used by someone before they expire; if not me, then a friend, family member, co-worker or whoever. For the one I have right now, the tickets must be booked by March 31 and travel must be completed by May 31. Keep in mind that the number of seats that will be sold on this basis on any given flight are limited (although I've found them to be pretty good about this -- it's not like trying to book a minimum level award seat or something like that). <BR><BR>Bottom line: they're nice to have and they work great if they happen to fit what you're doing, which they often do.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:21 AM

I have a copy of the coupon. I can not use it so I would be willing to send it to you. It says you can call NWA at 18002252525 and refer to reference code PD722. West coast travel to Europe 1-31 May - $549 + taxes and fees, approx an extra $100.<BR>Regards - Tom<BR>[email protected]
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:08 AM
rex

Thank you, Tom (for the e-mail reply). I'll follow up with you later this afternoon or this evening.<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 08:11 AM

I've always found high season starting around June 10-15. If you'll remember last year, summer fares to Europe were sky high because so many airlines cut flights. I expect this year will be no different. Just check Orbitz every day or so. I flew to Geneva from Chicago last year on June 15 and got a fare with everything for $440. A savings of about $300. I'm a pretty good fare hunter and last summer was VERY bad.<BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Last year we flew from Baltimore to FRA for $442 each mid-week (would have been 492 weekends) June 10-June 25. On US Air. Bought the tickets in March.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM
creative

<BR>Escholzia--I have 2 coupons good through May and won't be needing either. I'd be happy to share them with you (and one other Fodorite--I already offered 1 to Rex, but he hasn't replied yet), but need to get your address. I'm sure you don't want to post it, but if you can give me your e-mail address, I'll e-mail you and we can figure out how to get one to you.

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:08 PM
rex

to creative:<BR><BR>I don't know who you are - - not the same as Eurotraveler (Tom) - - but I am definitely interested, and I don't know how to contact you.<BR><BR>Could you please write to me at [email protected]?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:30 PM
rex

hmmm... further snafu on my end - - I just fixed a problem with overload on my [email protected] e-mail account. If you have tried to e-mail me, &quot;creative&quot; - - could you please try again?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:18 PM

Creative,<BR><BR>If you still have one to spare I'd be happy to take one. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks! : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -