Northwest or Lufthansa from DFW?

Apr 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Northwest or Lufthansa from DFW?

I am about to purchase airfare from Dallas Ft Worth to Frankfurt, returning from Munich for late September early October. Lufthansa offers a nonstop from DFW for $1080.00 rt (connect in Frankfurt on return). I can book with KLM and Northwest for $809.00, but we'd have to change plans in Amsterdam on each leg. The times aren't quite as attractive, but I wonder more about realiability and the connections (luggage, etc.). Any advise?
Apr 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM

AA offers non-stop from DFW to FRA and 1 stop from MUC. I plugged in sample dates for late September, return early October and found a fare of ~$965 all in.

Have not flown Lufthansa using this route but from experience I find Lufthansa pretty reliable and have not lost any of my luggage yet. I find Northwest planes outbound quite cramped (but aren't they all, in couch) and the KLM inbound a lot nicer!!
Apr 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM

As for luggage transfer, the Amsterdam airport is quite good. I do it once in awhile, but usually don't have a reason to go via AMS, anymore. You didn't say how long you have between flights, though. Make it 90 minutes, to be safe.

Second, are you earning miles in any particular airline alliance? I usually fly Delta and use SkyMiles for SkyTeam members (which counts NW and KLM as members). Get those miles, even if you fly infrequently. You'd be surprised how someday you will have enough for a free ticket or upgrade.

Finally, to save $271.00, I'd have to really dislike NW and KLM or really like LH not to fly via AMS.

I just checked two random dates (late Sept/early Oct) for Delta, and they have the fare at $820.00 (plus taxes). From personal experience, I know they are very, very good about getting bags from the domestic flight to the connecting international flight (I always ask before boarding my overseas flight if my bag was "checked in" for the international flight, and they look in my record and confirm it --- down to the bin it is in). And sometimes coming back from overseas, even when I have a slightly late arrival in Atlanta and have less than an hour for customs, etc., they get the bag on my domestic flight. (Knock on wood!)

Search this Thread