Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Northwest Airlines, from Minniapolis to Europe. Good or Bad? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/northwest-airlines-from-minniapolis-to-europe-good-or-bad-98139/)

Eric Jan 1st, 2001 06:32 PM

Northwest Airlines, from Minniapolis to Europe. Good or Bad?

I'm travelling to Europe and considering Northwest. Having mainly used Delta how does Northwest compare?

nemo Jan 2nd, 2001 12:38 AM

<BR>Eric- <BR>I have frequently flown Northwest to both Europe and Asia and have been very pleased on all occasions. The planes have always been nice, meal service enjoyable(no small accomplishment there), and the crews have always been a delight. I have come to rely on their suggestions for new places to eat and shop. I would easily recommend Northwest over Delta which I also fly fairly frequently.

the turnip Jan 2nd, 2001 04:35 AM

My only complaint with Northwest is the near total lack of leg room. I'm 6'2" tall and 225 pounds (ok, ok, 235 but I'm working on it allright!) and trans-atlantic flights are a killer. Their coach seats are wedged in as tight or tighter as any major carrier I've flown on. <BR> <BR>The food and staff are fine but the craped seating drops them on my list.

Don Jan 2nd, 2001 06:01 AM

The strengths of choosing Northwest for trans-Atlantic flights lie in two areas: KLM, and Northwest's frequent flyer programme. <BR> <BR>Northwest have a very cosy relationship with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. Many of their flights connecting at Amsterdam are NW-coded, but actually operated by KLM which, having flown both airlines trans-Atlantic, I feel KLM is a tad better. NW's frequent flyer programme "Worldperx" is very good with more reduced-mileage offers and miles+cash offers than other airlines. Bottom line: try to get on the KLM flight if it's a codeshare. And always check prices from both airlines to see who is cheaper.

Eric Jan 2nd, 2001 07:18 PM

Thank you for your input.

Tony Hughes Jan 3rd, 2001 01:25 AM

I flew from Amsterdam to Minneapolis with KLM and back with Northwest. I thought the KLM flight was superior for a number of reasons: <BR> <BR>The Aeroplane was bigger and thus, although it had more people on board, it did have more space to move about in. <BR> <BR>There was a non-stop conveyor-belt of complimentary drinks all through the flight served by people who looked as if they enjoyed their job. Food was adequate. <BR> <BR>However, the plane was quiet a vintage with some of the interior trim coming loose in the toilet and on the walls etc, not a problem, though. <BR> <BR>The Northwest flight back was on a considerable smaller plane and seemed a whole lot more crowded. <BR> <BR>Free miniatures were handed out however I had to ask to get one as the staff gave up an aisle before me. Haphazard approach to doling out food, refreshments etc. They seemed annoyed tha I asked for a free miniature of alcohol. <BR> <BR>The flights were the cheapeast I could find.

Danna Jan 3rd, 2001 04:43 PM

Eric <BR>We flew Northwest Mpls to Amsterdam and KLM Amsterdam Mpls. The service on KLM was better. Someone going by every hour with something. The KLM flight was in the daytime and the Northwest overnight so that may make a difference. My daughter also flew these same flights and suggests going KLM if possible. <BR> <BR>