I'm starting the final month of my 5 month trip around the UK and would love some input on my planned route. I've read so many forum posts, hostel reviews, and train schedules lately that I'm going cross-eyed and would love some advice from others!
I'm currently in the Lake District and will be staying here until the 12th, when I journey to York for 3 nights, then to Chester for 3 nights. Those are already booked. From there I want to explore Northern Wales a bit.
I do not have a car, and won't be renting one, so am dependent on train/bus. (Incidentally, do people have much success hitchhiking in this area?)
Can I see Llandudno and Conwy in one day as a day trip from Chester?
And is Portmeirion a doable day trip from Betws-y-Coed? Or is it better to go from Llanberis?
I was thinking of something like:
Wed. 16: Chester (train gets in around 2pm, explore town)
Thu 17: Chester (more to do in town? Or is there another cool day trip?)
Fri 18: Chester (day trip to Llandudno and Conwy)
Sat 19: Betws-y-Coed (apparently a 1.5 hour train, explore town/area)
Sun 20: Betws-y-Coed (hiking/walking in area)
Mon 21: Betws-y-Coed (day trip to Portmeirion)
Fri 25: ?? To Manchester
Sat 26: Megabus Manchester to Edinburgh (leaves 7am)
Sun 27: Edinburgh
Mon 28: Edinburgh
Tue 29: Edinburgh to Glasgow
Wed 30: fly Glasgow to Vancouver
Do the day trips make sense? Is it worth staying in Llanberis anyway? Is there something obvious I'm missing out? And is the scenery different enough from the Lake District that I won't feel I've already been there?
So I am open to suggestions on how to spend the last few days, keeping in mind I would like to be able to connect back to Manchester. Really ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm not looking for anything particular, after 5 months I am a little travel weary and, while still excited to see something new, I am more than happy to open the floor to any ideas. As long as I can get there by transit!
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 2 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 3 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 4 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 5 My France Vacation
- 6 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 7 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 8 CACHOPO, CABRALES & CARBAYONES Asturias..and "The Best Steak in The World"
- 9 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 10 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 11 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 12 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 13 Best Greek Island
- 14 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 15 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 16 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 17 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 18 Malaga Christmas lights
- 19 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 20 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 21 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 22 Mediterranean princess cruise
- 23 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 24 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 25 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland