Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Northern Spain Part 2 Itinerary – Madrid to Santiago de Compostela (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/northern-spain-part-2-itinerary-madrid-to-santiago-de-compostela-408248/)

easygoer Aug 5th, 2008 02:12 PM

Northern Spain Part 2 Itinerary – Madrid to Santiago de Compostela

Hi again. Our September trip to Northern Spain is starting to come together. Last year we started in Barcelona and ended up in Santander. This year it is Madrid to Santiago de Compostela. I still am having a rough time figuring out how long to spend in each area. Here is a rough plan.

Fly into Madrid
Day 1 – Segovia
Day 2 – Salamanca (via Avila)
Day 3 – Zamora
Day 4 – Zamora
Day 5 – Leon (we have been here before, but loved it)
Day 6 – Leon (Picos de Europa
Day 7 – Parador Cangas de Onis
Day 8 – Gijon or Oviedo
Day 9 – Montforte de Lemo (Ourense area)
Day 10 – Montforte de Lemo (Ourense area)
Day 11 – Bayona
Day 12 – Bayona
Day 13 – Santiago de Compostela
Day 14 – Santiago de Compostela
Day 15 – Santiago de Compostela
Day 16 – Fly Home
Fly out of Santiago de Compostela

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

bobthenavigator Aug 5th, 2008 03:26 PM

Nice trip ! I do think you are not giving enough time to either Segovia or Salamanca--have you been there before.

easygoer Aug 5th, 2008 06:18 PM

Hi Bob, so happy you're here. We are traveling in your footsteps again. We have not been to either Segovia or Salamanca. The first part of the trip confuses me the most. I would rather pick one place for 4 nights or so and do day trips. The other possibility is skipping Leon and the Picos de Europa since we were they many moons ago on business. I'd love to go back, but not if it's taking away from new places. The reason I picked Zamora was we may be able to tour a cheese factory that my company imports from. While in Bayona, we may skip over the border to Viana de Castelo. That Pousada was one of our favorite places we ever stay in, thanks to your recommendations. We loved the area too.

bobthenavigator Aug 5th, 2008 06:30 PM

Well, there is a nice Parador in Avila and both of the S towns are an hour in 2 directions. I would skip the whole Picos thing this trip. My wife enjoyed Segovia the most. It will be hard to go wrong---if you control the rain.

artlover Aug 5th, 2008 07:12 PM

I agree with Bob. I loved Segovia best of your list, but also thought Salamanca was really beautiful. Except for the Parador in Leon, I liked both much more. We stayed at the Paradors in Avila, Segovia, Salamanca & Leon and thought they were all wonderful in their own way.

Continental_Drifter Aug 5th, 2008 07:25 PM

If you do go to Los Picos, which we would NOT skip, try Hotel del Oso in Cosgaya in the area of Liebana.

www.hoteldeloso.com

We've stayed there twice, once while in college 20 years ago and again two years ago. Prices are VERY reasonable. As a student, it was the first place I ever stayed that topsheeted the beds. It is a romantic place and I knew in college that I would some day take my husband there. It did not disappoint and he loved the Hotel del Oso as much as I.

Potes has a wonderful old section and there is, as legend has it, part of the cross at the monastery there.

It is one of our favorite inns anywhere. My husband was disappointed that we only stayed two nights last time.

From there, you can take the cable car at Fuente De for beautiful snow-capped mountain views 1800 meters up.

Driving north from out of the Picos is treat, and the drive is lovely as you drive down from the mountains into coast.

Have fun!

cruiseluv Aug 5th, 2008 07:52 PM

Hi,

I would suggest you stay in Oviedo rather than Gijón. I did a day trip to Gijón and left after a few hours. Oviedo is a charming city.

Revulgo Aug 6th, 2008 03:44 AM

My suggestion is:
Day 3 - Salamanca instead of Zamora.

ribeirasacra Aug 6th, 2008 04:48 AM

First of all you have picked some lovely spots to visit, but I have some observations to add.

To get between Gijón and Monforte de Lemos you pass Leon, Astorga and the Roman Mines. All are places not to be missed. Seeing that you are travelling the same road twice to get to the Picos and you have limited time. Maybe you should consider a different route.
It is hard to know what to do, eh?
Three days in SdC is too much time unless you are using it as a base to explore.
But don’t forget everyday you change location means a day less to sightsee.
Why? Because you have to load up the car, check out, drive towards the next location. The drive will take longer as you will want to stop for sightseeing and meals etc. Once at your next location, you have to find it. Book in and then unload the car. All this takes longer than you think. In the end you will have no time to visit anything in the locality of where you are sleeping.

easygoer Aug 6th, 2008 02:31 PM

I'm trying to narrow down our bases. How does this look? What would you do? It still seems to be too many. Thanks again for all of the thoughtful replies.

Fly into Madrid
Day 1 – Salamanca (Day trips to Avila, Segovia , Valladolid and Zamora
Day 2 – Salamanca
Day 3 – Salamanca
Day 4 – Salamanca
Day 5 – Leon (Picos de Europa via route N621 through Potes)
Day 6 – Parador Cangas de Onis
Day 7 – Oviedo
Day 8 – Oviedo
Day 9 – Ovideo
Day 11 – Montforte de Lemo (Ourense area)
Day 12 – Bayona
Day 13 – Bayona
Day 16 – Fly Home

easygoer Aug 6th, 2008 02:39 PM

mom23rugrats, Hotel del Oso in Cosgaya looks like heaven on earth. Lovely! Thansk for the suggestion.

bobthenavigator Aug 6th, 2008 03:15 PM

I like it better. Do not stay at the Parador in Salamanca--not very convenient. Check out Maribels suggestions---we stayed at Palacio de Castellanos and it was fine but there may be better options. Good luck !

cruiseluv Aug 6th, 2008 03:25 PM

I would have kept the 3 days in Santiago, but i understand once you start changing it is like a rubik's cube!

In Oviedo I highly recommend Hotel de la Reconquista.

easygoer Aug 6th, 2008 04:25 PM

cruiseluv, I agree about having three nights at the end of our trip in Santiago de Compostela. What night would you cut out to add another night, perhaps one day in Salamanca or Oviedo? I usually have this all planned months ahead. I can't believe it a little more than one month away. Hubby wanted to wing it and not have reservations. No way. I'd be a head case. Thanks.

cruiseluv Aug 6th, 2008 07:01 PM

Easygoer,

I stayed in Salamanca 3 days and found it to be more than enough, but we didn't do day trips from there as you are planning. In Oviedo, we stayed 2 days which IMO is sufficient. But it depends how many daytrips you are planning to do from there.
I would probably cut one day from Oviedo and add it to Santiago.

easygoer Aug 6th, 2008 07:43 PM

Thanks cruiseluv. I knew you'd come through with a plan. You were so helpful in last years Northrn Spain pt 1.

Fly into Madrid
Day 1 – Salamanca (Day trips to Avila, Segovia , Valladolid and Zamora
Day 2 – Salamanca
Day 3 – Salamanca
Day 4 – Salamanca ( Move to Zamora or Leon?)
Day 5 – Leon (Picos de Europa via route N621 through Potes)
Day 6 – Parador Cangas de Onis
Day 7 – Oviedo
Day 8 – Oviedo
Day 9 – Montforte de Lemo (Ourense area)
Day 11 – Bayona
Day 12 – Bayona
Day 13 – Santiago de Compostela
Day 16 – Fly Home

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best,

easygier

cruiseluv Aug 6th, 2008 08:03 PM

Hi easygoer,

IMO, it looks great! You will have a great time!

Revulgo Aug 7th, 2008 04:02 AM

My suggestion is:
Day 1 – Segovia
Day 2 – Segovia-large stopover in Avila-Salamanca
Day 3 – Salamanca
Day 4 – Salamanca-stopover in Zamora-Leon
Day 5 – Leon
Day 6 – Leon (Picos de Europa via route N621 through Potes)
Day 8 – Oviedo
Day 9 – Oviedo, toll free highway to San Lorenzo beach (Gijon), only 32 km.
Day 10 – Monforte de Lemos (Ourense area)
Day 11 – Monforte de Lemos (Ourense area)
Day 12 – Bayona
Day 13 – Bayona, boat excursion to Cies islands
Day 16 – Fly Home
Fly out of Santiago

Revulgo Aug 7th, 2008 08:25 AM

My accurated suggestion:
Day 1 – Segovia
Restaurant: 'Narizotas' at Plaza Medina del Campo.
Tapas bar: at halfway Infante Isabel street, on a corner, its name?... A long and narrow bar, the counter on the right-hand side, pretty barmaid..er.. I mean good aperivo (free tapa)… her name? Sorry, its name??
Day 2 – Segovia-large stopover in Avila-Salamanca
In Avila, restaurant: 'Almacen' at avenida Salamanca 6. Tapas bar: 'Meson Gredos' at plaza Mercado Chico.
Day 3 – Salamanca
Breakfast: 'Cafeteria Las Torres' at Plaza Mayor
Tapas bar: 'Bambu' at calle del Prior, close to Plaza Mayor
Day 4 – Salamanca-stopover in Zamora-Leon
In Zamora, tapas bar: 'Viriato' at calle Viriato.
Day 5 – Leon
Tapas bar: The whole area called Barrio Humedo (the Wet Quarter) e.g. 'El Llar' at Plaza de San Martin.
Day 6 – Leon (Picos de Europa via route N621 through Potes)
Day 8 – Oviedo
Restaurant: 'Casa Conrado' at Arguelles 1. Try 'fabes con almejas' (white kidney beans & clams stew).
Day 9 – Oviedo, afternoon ride to San Lorenzo beach (Gijon), toll free dual way, only 32 km.
In Gijon: chocolate con churros at 'San Siro', San Lorenzo beach promenade, staircase # 14 ?
Day 10 – Monforte de Lemos (Ourense area)
Day 11 – Monforte de Lemos (Ourense area)
Day 12 – Bayona
Day 13 – Bayona, boat excursion to Cies islands. Wear beach clothing.
Tapas: The Paris-Dakar race on Rua de Franco.
Day 16 – Fly Home
Fly out of Santiago

ribeirasacra Aug 8th, 2008 12:06 AM

The boats to the Islas Cìes may not be working in September. Besides I found out that they charge a horrific 18€ per person for a day ticket. It may have the best beach in the worlds but it comes at a price!