Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Northern Italy Trip Reports? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/northern-italy-trip-reports-446279/)

Tim_and_Liz Oct 13th, 2008 09:20 AM

Northern Italy Trip Reports?

Hello Fodorites,

Tim and I have booked our next trip to Italy. We'll be visiting Northern Italy in July 2009, flying in and out of Milan. We'll have about 10 nights on the ground.

We haven't been anywhere in Northern Italy other than a day in Verona and a lot of time in Venice.

We will likely be attending an event in Riva del Garda, either as a day trip or for a couple of nights.

We would like to spend a day or two in Milan and otherwise relax in small towns, enjoying the scenery, food and wine and avoiding crowds and heat as much as possible.

Any suggestions or favorite trip reports? I do love to research, but would appreciate any suggestions of towns, etc.

Thank you!

cmeyer54 Oct 13th, 2008 09:40 AM

Here's what we did - you can reverse the route. Venice - Cortina - Bolzano - Riva Del Garda - Milan - Verona - Venice. We took 2 full weeks and really loved it. The drive from Cortina to Bolzano is spectacular - its only about 76km but will take a full day. Small town just north of Garda is called Isera. Highly recommend the wine cooperative for either lunch or dinner. Lucca Bini will take very good care of you. We also like the hiking and lakes around Cortina. The funicular takes you up the mountain where you can either hike or enjoy the views. Verona is well worth 1-2 days (one overnight there); The lakes around Garda are great - we stopped at Como enroute from Garda to Milan. We also took a day trip drive south/west of Milan to the Piedmont region and explored some neat little towns there. Glad you are not skipping Milan - we added it at the last minute and found it very enjoyable. Make reservations to see the Last Supper as soon as possible. They do sell out and its a must see.

yk Oct 13th, 2008 09:47 AM

Here's a link to a compilation of Fodorites' Itay trip reports (100 replies). You have to scroll through them to find Northern Italy ones.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35110122

Steve_James Oct 14th, 2008 01:29 AM

Hi Tim&Liz - Lake Garda and the Dolomites makes a lovely combo - you can't go wrong :)
http://www.dolomitigallery.com/estate/index.htm

There have been lots of Dolomites trip reports. Val Gardena makes an excellent base for touring, hiking, lifts etc.
www.valgardena.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Dayle Oct 14th, 2008 04:33 PM

Tim & Liz,

My first trip to Italy included a week of skiing out of Cortina. I've always wanted to return in the summer to enjoy the scenery and hiking all over again! The little towns we skied though - Val Gardena, Arraba, Ortesei, etc, were amazing!

I've also visted Lago Maggiore and the islands. Loved Hotel Verbano, on Isola dei Pescatore, the villa and gardens of Isola Bella and the gardens of Isola Madre and Villa Taranto. Awesome views.

Some good friends went on a (serious) cycling vacation last summer to Lago Como and came back RAVING about Limone, tiny town towards the north end. It was their second stop. They cancelled the rest of their reservations in Tuscany and stayed in Limone for a whole week.

Just a few ideas for you! If it were me and a July trip - the Dolomiti for sure!

cmeyer54 Oct 14th, 2008 06:43 PM

I finally completed my trip report on 2 weeks in northern italy a few days ago. Second the suggestion for Cortina; it was very beautiful. We tend to go off the beaten path when possible and explore small towns and surroundings but will also enjoy the cities for a few days.

Ralphie Oct 17th, 2008 11:08 AM

You might want to consider Vicenza, Parma, and Cremona. I loved all three places.

Tim_and_Liz Oct 20th, 2008 11:10 AM

Thank you so much for the replies! I am going to look into the places you've mentioned as well as read some reports. I am sure I will have more questions in the future once I narrow down my options.
Thanks again!
Liz

bobthenavigator Oct 20th, 2008 03:24 PM

Dayle, Are you sure that Limone was on Como---there is a charming village by that name on the north end of Lago Garda.

cmeyer54 Oct 20th, 2008 07:20 PM

limone and sirmione are both on garda i believe

truenorth Oct 21st, 2008 12:13 PM

Limone and Sirmione ARE on Garda.
Drop into Bardolino if you take the ferry. Charming little place and the wine is great.
Enjoy

dexdispose Oct 21st, 2008 02:06 PM

I'd highly recommend venice and tuscany, we ended up using an agent ( www.ellencraigtravel.com ) and we're very happy so i'd suggest giving her a call.

yk Oct 21st, 2008 02:14 PM

<i>Author: dexdispose
Date: 10/21/2008, 06:06 pm
I'd highly recommend venice and tuscany, we ended up using an agent ( www.ellencraigtravel.com ) and we're very happy so i'd suggest giving her a call.</i>

Hmmm... Smells like an ad to me.