Northern Italy/ Slovenia

Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Northern Italy/ Slovenia

Hi
looking for some info pls,
got 2 weeks flying in and out of Milan Bergamo- first 2 weeks in August, plan is to head to Verona for 2 days- decent 3*/4*accom-any recomendations?, then onto Lake Bled for 4 days- again any recomendation for accom- anyone stayed at the Kompas or the Park Hotels?, then 7 nights at a lake side town- thought about Malcesine on garda- like towns that have nice cafes/ bars to sit in at night, good scenery, general 'buzz' about them, but not too full of tourists. Looked at the hotels Bellevue and Val di Sogno there, but open to recomendations on other towns, last night to be spent in Milano before heading back to airport.
Would it be better just to use trains on this type of holiday?- Is it easy to get around the different lakes say by public transport - read about the buses not sure how much travelling we would do- prob use the boats on the lake....?
Any tips would bemuch appreciated!
thanks in advance

kirsty
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:59 AM
rex

I would get very stir crazy at Malcesine for a week, especially if - - you don't propose going there without a car, do you? It would be alright with a car (Spent a September week on Lake Garda - - the Fodorites' Italy 2001 trip) - - because there is so much to see and do nearby.

But I realize that you may be talking about an entirely different approach to traveling. Is this solo? I guess you can meet other singles anywhere. Riva will have more "buzz".

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:13 AM

I too am having a hard time figuring out the type of town you are looking for on Garda. We were crazy about our semi-haphazard choice of Torre del Benaco and our Hotel Gardesana (see www.hotel-gardesana.com). The town was a delight with several little restaurants built right over the water on decks. Boats to other towns on the lake.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM

Taking a car into Slovenia will not be easy. If you do train there,I would plan 2 nites in Ljubljana--nice town.
As for Garda, without a car I would prefer Riva over Malcesine for more to do, but why not both for contrast.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM

You might also check out hotels in Varese. It's the largest town near Malpensa and I found some interesting hotels there until we realized that a 6 a.m. flight precluded our staying there. Whatever you do, since you have at least some time in the morning to drive to the airport don't stay at that awful little hotel right by the airport--First something or other, or maybe just First. As all airport hotels, it is positively soulless and expensive to boot. The only good thing to be said for it is the shuttle bus is timely and the driver pleasant.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:07 AM

Whoops. Sent reply to the wrong message. Sorry to confuse anyone.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:03 PM

Bob, why do you warn about taking a car into Slovenia? Drop off charges? Other problems?
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM

Cost--true of any Eastern Europe country. And, some vendors just prohibit it. It was much cheaper for me to train to Slovenia, spend 2 nites in Ljubljana, and then get a car in Slovenia.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:17 PM

Hi
I haven't had a problem renting a car and driving in slovenia. Last year we rented in Lubijana and drove to Croatia. This was because we couldn't rent in Italy to bring to Croatia. I've rented in austria and drove to slovenia. Try AutoEurope, they will tell you which countries you can bring cars from. Last year was the first time we encountered this. We've rented and driven throughout eastern Europe. The Green Insurance care is what they ask for.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi
We are a couple going on holiday. Rex- I feared that a week might be too long at Malcesine as well- was reluctant to book it for this reason. From the posts here, think we should take the train into Slovenia, then head back to Garda- maybe 2 nights in MAlcesine, 5 in Riva, or would say, Bellagio on Como be a better bet? Theres so many places to choose from. The reason I picked one hotel for the last 7 nights was that we wouldnt feel like we were constantly living out of our luggage! We could take day trips from here as a base...
Hope this clarifies it!- And yes.. from the earlier posts we would hire a car for the final week in Italy,
Thanks so much for da info!!

Kirsty
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:05 AM

Kirsty - I think Riva best fits your description of what your looking for.

I can spend a week quite happily there - it makes a good base for day-trips, especially if you have a car.
But it will be busy - August is high season in any of these lakeside resorts.

Steve
Apr 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi
Do any of you have an up to date link fr Italian trains? Also, anyone taken a hire car from Italy into Slovenia?
HAd a couple of companies telling me it wasnt possible. Booked into a hotel in riva-

Thnaks

Kirsty