Northern Italy March - Book in Advance?

Nov 21st, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Northern Italy March - Book in Advance?

My mother and I are planning a trip to Italy March 7-17. We are flying to Venice due to low airfares.

Our tentative plan is to spend our first three nights in Florence (take train the first day) and last two in Venice, with the other 4 somewhere else in the region. We are thinking about Padua, Verona, or Vincenza, but thought it might be better to just decide what hits our fancy once we get to Italy. Does anyone forsee problems with this idea for the time of the year? We really just need a roof over our heads... and some standards of cleanliness and safety.

Also, if anyone has any idea of "gems" in the region. We are 24 and 55 years old, great health, love history and walks. We have both been to Italy before but only Rome and Amalfi (me) and my mom went many years ago. We have been looking at slowtrav but love to hear any advice first hand as well.
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:16 AM

Hi lizzy,

My feeling would be to book the nights in florence and venice and busk it in between. decent accommodation in big tourist centres gets booked up pretty quickly, but places in between should be fine.

that time of year, the lakes wil probably be a bit chilly [and not much open yet] but as you say you have loads of other choices.

will you be renting a car or gonig by train?

regards, ann
Nov 21st, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

We will be using train and other public transportation (i.e. bus) if necessary.

I had the same feeling about the Lakes, which is suggested on many itineraries, but I do not think would be that great in the middle of March. I am hoping we can find some charming smaller places with a a little more going on.
Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM

Hi, lizzy,

without a car, you're really restricted to towns, preferably ones with railway stations!

the trenitalia website suggests several possibilities - bologna, padua [padova in italy] and verona. I would pick no more than two, preferably one, in the time you have.

there is also Lucca.

Bologna has had very good reviews on this site.

regards, ann
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
LJ

I am with Annhig when it comes to the 'playing it by ear' for the smaller towns and only booking Florence and Venice. Verona is a charming small town with an excellent Basilica hiding some art gems and a very sophisticated main shopping area. There are many options for places to stay.