Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Northern Italy Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/northern-italy-itinerary-301887/)

PJK Mar 29th, 2003 09:35 AM

Northern Italy Itinerary

Although I-checks are not usually my favorite threads, here I am asking for some feedback on mine. We have decided to train instead of drive. (That decision is made, so all you drivers, please don't dirty that water. <BR><BR>2 nights Lucern<BR>1 night Lugano<BR>1 night Milan (to pick up daughter coming in)<BR>2 nights Venice<BR>2 nights Garda<BR>1 night Bergamo<BR>3 nights Stresa<BR><BR>What do you think? PJK

Sue_xx_yy Mar 29th, 2003 09:43 AM

Hi PJK. You will want to hear from those with more experience in this area, but my own train research tells me that train service to Bergamo, coming from the west, is a bit of a pain since it's not on the main line. So if you were using it to break up the trip between Garda and Stresa, it isn't that useful; if you really want to see Bergamo, on the other hand, then why not.<BR><BR>If any in your party hasn't been to Venice before, you might want to consider picking either Garda or Stresa, and alloting extra nights to Venice. But of course, maybe the main thrust of your trip is scenery and RandR? Bon voyage.

Sue_xx_yy Mar 29th, 2003 09:44 AM

oops, that should read, train service to Bergamo, coming from the EAST. It is slightly better coming from Milan (i.e. the west.)

bobthenavigator Mar 29th, 2003 11:59 AM

I would skip Bergamo and add it to Venice. The Citta Alta is worth 2 hours if you are driving, but not worth the hassle by train.

PJK Mar 29th, 2003 12:12 PM

Thanks for the input. I will consider another night in Venice. From my research, it would seem that the area around Garda is worthy of another day as well. We intend to spend one of the two days already planned in Verona alone. If we do not intend to do museums or concerts, do we still need another day in Venice. We intend to go in there early one day, stay a full day, and have most of a third day if we aren't finished seeing the main sites. I know many people can't imagine not seeing museums, but we went to Paris three times before we went to the Louvre! I did, however, go to the Vatican museum my first trip to Rome. PJK

uhoh_busted Mar 29th, 2003 02:50 PM

You should have at least two full days in Venice -- it is so different from anyplace else on earth. And you don't need to do any museums, but St Marks is simply beautiful.

ira Mar 30th, 2003 08:20 AM

Hi<BR>You ask,<BR>&gt;If we do not intend to do museums or concerts, do we still need another day in Venice? We intend to go in there early one day, stay a full day, and have most of a third day if we aren't finished seeing the main sites.&lt;<BR><BR> This is the minimum. <BR> You might want to see the fish market by the Rialto Bridge early in the morning.