Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Northern Italy in July w/my 81 year old mom? Would you recommend it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went to Costa Rica and Ireland last summer and the Norwegian Coastal Voyage cruise the summer before that. We've always wanted to go to Italy, but everybody says it's too rough for my mom and too hot. What about northern Italy? Other suggestions? We prefer country-side B&B's over hotels. Scenic villages. We may even go back to Ireland again, but Italy has been our dream.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Carrie

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:40 PM

If it's your dream and hers and she's in good enough health to travel, I'd do it. It's a slightly longer flight than Ireland (not sure where you're flying from). Where in Northern Italy? The lakes region, which is very beautiful (especially Bellagio and Lake Como) are nice in the summer; a bit cooler b/c of the mountains. We were there in August, which is a notoriously hot time of the year in certain parts of Italy, but it wasn't bad at all. Our biggest problem was we rented an apartment (which we loved) but it had no screens on the windows. So we had to keep the apt. closed up or get bitten by mosquitoes. Most places tell you whether they have screens (and AC for that matter). I'd probably not recommend the Riviera or other coastal areas in July b/c of the heat and crowds.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Hi DC - I think you'd need to choose either the Dolomites/ Alpine area or the lakes.

Northern Italy can be oppressively hot in the summer unless you are in or near the mountains.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:04 AM

there is so much you can see from the car. i think it will work out fine,.

the only problem i find with a LOT of b+b's is that the rooms are up a flight of stairs.

i think northern italy is a great choice, and the lakes ,up and down, will be gorgeous.

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:08 AM

Hi dcsam,

If you could arrange to go at a different time of year that would be ideal - because the heat can be (it's not always) uncomfortable in July/August whatever your age. But if July is the only time available, then as long as you have a hotel with good air conditioning you should be OK. Churches tend to be quite cool and many museums have good a/c; if it's really hot you can always avoid the heat by getting the hotel to call you taxis to get and from these sites.

Italy is great and it'd be a real shame not to go.

I haven't been to Costa Rica but I have been to the Caribbean in the summer and that was pretty warm - so I would guess that if your Mum coped OK with Costa Rica's temp she should be alright with Italy's climate.

(And as for people saying it's too rough - no idea what that's about.)
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:36 AM

We usually visit Italy once a year - in July. Our elderly mothers came with us two times. The last time we took our mothers, about 5 years ago, they were both about the same age as your mother. We visited the Sorrento area. Yes, it was hot but the villas we rented had AC and plenty of shady spots to sit in outside. We just made sure that when we were out and about sightseeing we slowed down our pace and didn't try to do too much with them. We took frequent rest breaks stopping for a bite to eat, gelato or a cold drink. We never minded driving them back to the villa to rest for a while and we never insisted that they come with us if they just wanted to relax at the villas and enjoy the view. Sometimes, we would go out while they rested - they never minded this.

These trips with our mothers, our son and my sister were the best! We were fortunate that at those times, they were able to travel with us and enjoy themselves. Now, at 86 and with more ambulatory issues, they are no longer able to travel so we treasure those times when they came with us on numerous trips.

Tune in to what your mother can and cannot do and adjust your trip accordingly. Good luck deciding where to go, treasure every moment and enjoy!

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM

My mom had a touch time with the heat last summer in Italy and France. Some days, it got close to 100 degrees.

She is 75 and would not go again that time of year.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM

I adore Italy, but I dont think I'd take my Mum there in July if she was 81 years old, maybe I'm assuming your Mum would be troubled by the heat,If so I apolgise for making assumptions, but its something to think very strongly about, Italy in July is very hot!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM

we went to rome last JUNE and i swore i would NEVER go back at that time, either. we were having a heat wave, i know, but it was so oppressive i couldnīt stand it.