Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Northern Italy ideas and weekly rental places - Help!!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:06 AM
sarah

Ciao,

My husband and I want to spend 2weeks - next September in Northern Italy -...inexpensively. "Champagne taste - chardonnay budget"

We have rented a cottage is France and LOVED it. Now we want to "do" Italy. Please help with any ideas. We would also like to spend a couple of days in Cinque Terra

Any imput on itinerary, places to go, stay, see and EAT & DRINK!!!!!!!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM
MEG

Hi sarah
this was our itinerary- fly into Milan. 2 nights in Milan; on to Bergamo 1 night, Bergamo- Brescia 1 night; Brescia to Cremona 2 nights; Cremona to Mantua 2 nights. Mantua to Ferrara 1 night; Ferrara to Ravenna 1 night; Ravenna to Urbino 3nights. All travel between cities by train- always punctual and clean.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:27 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sarah, Let me suggest you start with the web site at www.slowtrav.com to get good input on rental logistics. Also, you will find my article on " Budget" there that may help. Assuming you are including Tuscany in your definition, I see 4 mandatory segments to any northern itinerary:
The Lakes--that is a long story
The Ligurian coast[ CT et al]
Tuscany hill towns--another long story
Venice
The ideal scenario is to fly into Milan and out of Venice--or reverse. I see 3 days each at these locations, and more in Tuscany. That is a full 2 week sojourn, and my favorite in all of bella Italia. Good luck !

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Janda

We stayed at Castello de Luzzano which is outside of Piacenza. It is a working vineyard and winery that is on the small scale. To me this made it more intimate and personal. Being out there away from the city made us feel more like locals than tourists. I recommend these farm stays to anyone.
Have a wonderful trip.
Janda

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Rex

This question seems to be going in two directions - - a place to rent, and an itinerary. I always start with identifying the place that looks good as the rental, and then build the itinerary from there.

Suggest you check out

www.slowtrav.com
www.domani-usa.com
www.rentvillas.com

and others.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Tom

Mixed feelings about recommending this place. The website www.initialy.com seens to get a lot of free publicity here already, and Bob the Nav advertises there. And finally, I have not actually stayed there.

But you might want to take a look at the Apuan Alps cottage.

http://www.koinecenter.com/code/accomm_apuan.html

You can find it from the website of Enoteca De' Giraldi on the www.initaly.com website.

http://www.vinaio.com/home.html

Not connected with it in any way, and probably bob the Nav is not either, but it looks like it might be vaguely your cup of tea. Or maybe too much. Two bedrooms.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 12:52 PM

Don't miss Lake Como or Lake Maggiore. Take one of the passenger boats around the Lakes.Anytime you see a Grand Hotel they are wonderful places to stay.