Northern Italy by car.

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Livingston

Northern Italy by car.

In September 2000 we traveled southern Germany and Austria, through the Brenner Pass to Italy, stayed a very quick but enjoyable 4 nights visiting Venice, Florence and Cinque Terra, then by-passed Genoa and Milan as we headed north into Switzerland. In September 2002 we are considering a similar route through the Brenner Pass but only 3 nights in northern Italy before Switzerland. This Lombardy area includes Verona, Lakes Como & Maggiore, Brescia and Milan. Any suggestions for 3 nights with preferences for smaller places with day visits to big places like Milan.

Sep 27th, 2001, 06:00 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

With only 3 nites I would consider this itinerary. Spend your first nite at Riva del Garda, hopefully with enough time to hydrofoil to Limone and Malcesine. Hit Verona for 3 hours enroute to Logo Como, staying on the west shore in either Tremezzo or Mennagio.

Sep 27th, 2001, 06:06 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

oops ! It posted in error. So, as you leave Como, drive to Lugano and spend time taking the funicular up Mt. Bre. Spend the nite here or in Ascona at the north end of Maggiore. Read or ask about the Val Versasca just north of Locarno---well worth a 2 hour diversion.
After that you are on your own. Enjoy !

Sep 27th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Bob Brown

Don't ignore the mountains north and west of Bozen or Bolzano in Italian.
Those mountains rise steeply and are quite scenic.
If you want a spectacular pass that will test your mettle, try the Timmelsjoch!
It is spectacular.

Sep 27th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Joe

With three days, I would stay North and do Cortina d'Ampezzo and Castelrotto. The villages are small, quaint with good amenities. The passes between are breathtaking. Hiking is superb. Tourists will be sparse (just before ski season and just after summer). The Fall Air will be heavenly.

Oct 1st, 2001, 02:26 PM
Rex

I recently spent a very pleasant half-day in Trento, and think it is very worthy of your consideration, if you are interested in castles (it is not directly on the lake though). The tourist office in Trento was particularly replete with lots of good stuff, including a great little 50 page (free) book, "A guide to the Castles".

Interestingly enough, I just posted a "Bon Voyage" nessage to Bob - - and I acknowledged his advice (from a year ago) that Riva del Garda is/was NOT the best destination for this area. I think that (the town of) Garda itself is quite nice - - and I have a pretty favorable (admittedly brief) impression of Sirmione - - in the same general league as Bellagio (though not from a standpoint of scenic geography).

Best wishes,

Rex

Oct 1st, 2001, 05:33 PM
russ i

Regarding towns to stay in on Lake Garda, I would recommend Limone sul Garda as a first choice, with Malcesine as my second. Be sure to take the "funivia" cable-car in Malcesine to the top of the mountain. Spectacular!

Oct 1st, 2001, 09:07 PM
Fodorreader

While we're on the subject of Garda, can anyone explain the special appeal of going to Limone? I am looking for more specific descriptions to help me plan another trip to the area. Thanks.

Oct 1st, 2001, 09:40 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi
I worked in Limone for 2 years - it is a sweet town - but there are other places around the lake that are nicer in my opinion - what is very special are the areas around Limone - especially Tremosine, but it is a bit out of the way up the mountain.
Limone's main claim to fame is that the people there live longer than any other part of Italy.

Oct 1st, 2001, 11:23 PM
russ i

Fodorreader,

I like the uppermost portion of the Lake because I think that the views are more spectacular than those of the lower portion. The lake is much narrower, so the mountains are closer when viewed from the opposite shore.

There are 3 lakeside towns to choose from on this part of the lake: Malcesine, Riva del Garda and Limone sul Garda. Riva is the most developed, Limone the least. For this reason I prefer Limone; however, tastes vary, and you might find it too small and sleepy. Keep in mind that the real pleasure is seeing the lake for different vantage points. For this reason, I recommend taking the boat to Malcesine, which will give you fantastic views up and down the lake from the water. Once in Malcesine, tour the castle, explore the town, and above all, go up the mountain on the cable-car, as I had previously mentioned. Have fun!