Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Northern Italy, 1 week. Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/northern-italy-1-week-help-703394/)

suzdal May 8th, 2007 03:10 AM

Northern Italy, 1 week. Help

hi, we are 4 adults with 1 week free in early July. Having been to Rome, Pisa, & Venice, we are trying to plan an itinerary for northern Italy. I like the look of Cinqueterre, Lake Garda & Florence. We're flying from Dublin and hoping to hire a car for all or part of the trip. Flying in & out of 2 different cities is an option. The budget is about middle of the road stuff with lots of focus on good authentic food and wine. Thanks in advance

Mimar May 8th, 2007 06:38 AM

Is 1 week 7 days including travel? Or 9 days?

With that short time I'd definitely go open-jaws. Maybe into Genoa, out of Florence/Pisa.

If you fly into Genoa, take the train to the Cinque Terre. A car isn't much use there.

I'd then train to Florence, another place you won't want a car.

Finally you could pick up a car in Florence for the trip to Lake Garda and use the car to get you to your departure airport.

suzdal May 8th, 2007 06:43 AM

hi Mimar - 7 days inclusive of travel.What's the distance between Lake Garda adn Florence? Also, can you advise best place to stay in Lake Garda or if Como is a better option. thanks again

Mimar May 9th, 2007 07:15 AM

So you're flying in on day 1 and flying out on day 7? If so, I'd think about cutting out one of your 3 suggested destinations. Florence deserves several days, a couple for the CT. I don't know Garda. Search this forum for information.

Lake Como is close to Milan. If you flew out of Milan, that would make for an easier getaway on your last day. You wouldn't even have to stay in Milan the last night, though it's safer.

Do you mean Como the town or Lake Como? If you switched to Lake Como and stayed midlake, you wouldn't need a car at all. You'd just be parking it at each destination.

Steve_James May 10th, 2007 01:43 AM

Hi Suz - With the travel time involved it might be better to choose 2 destinations rather than 3 IMO.
3 would be rushed, I think ...

Are you flying Ryanair? They fly to Bergamo (- more convenient for Como than Garda) - so maybe you could combine a few days on Como with Florence or CT, perhaps returning from Pisa.

If you do opt for Garda I suggest staying at the north end of the lake. Riva is my favourite ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

suzdal May 15th, 2007 05:21 AM

hi Steve & Mimar
Thanks for your replies - i have been away for a few days thus the lack of reply. I am indeed flying Ryanair. I thought we'd fly into Pisa/Florence and spend 2 days in the area. Then up to the CT area and flying out of either Bologna or Bergamo. We arrive late on Monday night and return late the following Monday. Is it worth it to spend the last day in Como and fly out of Milan?
thanks in advance
Suz

fall06 May 15th, 2007 05:37 AM

Early in July you are likely to find many destinations, most especially Cinque Terre and Firenze, choked with tourists. And Firenze is likely to be hotter than a frying pan as well.

If you don't want to miss Firenze, fly into there (book an air conditioned hotel), do your sightseeing, but then I would suggest renting a car to drive to the lakes. For sheer fun and excellent wine, pick Lago di Garda. For sheer beauty, pick Lago di Como, but try to stay somewhere else than jam-packed Bellagio (just visit there). For a more fairy-tale atmosphere, pick tiny Lago di Orta, and use your car for day trips to Lago Maggiore. There is also lots of good food in that area.

fall06 May 15th, 2007 05:39 AM

Sorry, that should be "Lago d'Orta"

suzdal May 18th, 2007 04:32 AM

Okay - have been side tracked by the sound of Aosta! New itinerary is as follows: Fly into Geneva, hire car and drive through Mont Blanc tunnel to Aosta. Stay 2 nights. On southwards to Piedmont for 2 nights Want to visit Barolo winery and eat good food (where to stay). Drive to Como 2 nights(good route please) adn fly out of Milan. Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks in advance.

fall06 May 18th, 2007 08:52 AM

Picking up your car in Switzerland and dropping it off in Milano will be expensive. It will be less expensive if you pick up the car in Italy and use it only for Italy.

trvlbliss May 18th, 2007 10:27 AM

We are planning to fly into Milan and take a train to Como and the Italian lake area and then on to Zurich for a day and back. Total time not including travel will be 5 days. Any suggestions on how to split our days? I know this is a short trip but this is the best we can do and we believe in taking every opportunity to travel rather than waiting for a longer vacation.Suggestions on trains, hotels and itinerary will be appreciated. Main reason to go into Milan is tiakcet availabilty and to see the Last Supper and Duomo.