Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland Travel

Search

Northern Ireland Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Louise

Northern Ireland Travel

My husband and I are doing a self drive tour in October. I have always heard that the Giants Causeway is not to be missed on a trip to Ireland. We are somewhat concerned about driving in this area (our lodging will be in Rathmullan). Has anyone had any recent experience in motoring in this area?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Danna

Louise, While the Giant's Causeway is nice, it's not as big a deal as promoted, although when the sea is high the waves are wonderful. I recommend the Glenariff Forest Park on the east coast, stay at "the Meadows B&b" in Cushendall... it's a lovely place and you can travel throughout the coast from there. We were there in October of 2000, but it was much quieter then, not so much violence. I don't know very much about Rathmullan. Have a grand time!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:08 PM
eggfos

We took a day trip to the Giant's Causeway and the rope bridge at Carrick nearby in June. We had no problems whatsoever. The Northern coast is beautiful as well as the South, and West. <BR>I don't know where Rathmullan is, we actually did the trip as a long daytrip from Dublin. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:40 PM
michele

Louise,<BR>Please tell us about your trip when<BR>you return. We are planning to visit the North in June (have friends there).<BR><BR>M.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Ann

The biggest hazard on the Antrim Coast Road is cyclists, and there usually aren't very many around in October. You'll be fine, particularly as there won't be as much traffic in October. One thing: they take down the Carrick-a-Rede bridge sometime in October, so you may miss that. Don't know Rathmullan at all.<BR><BR>Giant's Causeway is definitely worth a visit. I've been there four or five times now, and it never ceases to amaze me. There are a lot of great legends surrounding the place.<BR><BR>If you like whiskey, make sure to stop at Bushmill's for a distllery tour (and be quick to volunteer for the taste testing at the end).

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
kathy

Hi Louise--<BR><BR>We just returned from a trip to N Ireland and the Republic last week.<BR>We stayed a week with friends around Derry and Limavady/Coleraine area.<BR>Absolutely beautiful area.Mussenden Temple/and the ruin is neat, great view over Lough Foyle, as is the spectacular overlook up Bishop's road nearby. At first glance Giant's Causeway didn't seem like much-grows on you, and we did walk the paths up to the cliff tops--views are wonderful. Did Bushmill's (although they were not distilling at the time) unless you like whiskey, don't volunteer as a taster! Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge is exciting and fun, a bit of a walk to from the parking lot---be prepared to pay a couple pounds for parking at tourist sites.<BR>Walls of Derry are very interesting, as are the murals depicting troubles 30 yrs ago. <BR>Rathmullen is in Co. Donegal right? go to Glenveagh National Park,tour the castle---fabulous gardens!<BR>Give yourselves more time driving even than you might expect.<BR>E-mail me ---I'd be happy to give you more info!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:27 PM
bill

If it is Rathmullen in Co Donegal, don't miss Fanad Head. You are very close and it is a wonderful drive. The location of the lighthouse is spectacular. Walk out to the cliffs opposite the lighthouse for an amazing view.<BR><BR>On the other topic, I enjoyed Carrick-a -Rede more than Giants Causway, but my favorite was the Torr Road. Not for the faint of heart as it is hilly, twisty and narrow, but the views are outstanding. Also agree that if you are there, visit Glenariff.<BR><BR>Bill