Northern Ireland need itinery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending three nights in Dublin and thinking about heading North. Did Ring of Kerry last year. Please give me ideas and towns along the way to Belfast and Derry. What should we not miss? We love coast, small towns, b & B How long a drive is this? If we took train rather than drive, would we miss much? \I will appreciate ANY info. Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Perkins,

We drove the coast road from Belfast to Derry seeing the Giant's Causeway and Dunluce Castle. We completely underestimated the amount of time this drive would take (started in Dublin that morning) so had to bypass the Rope Bridge and missed the opening time for the Castle since we "had" to be in Derry that evening. If you take this route plan on doing it in 2 days AT LEAST so you can stop and see it all.

The Coast drive though was well worth it and we WILL be going back (hopefully soon!) to explore more. Had we driven from Belfast directly to the Giant's Causeway or even to Derry t(hrough the countryside instead of around it) we would have missed a lot of small coastal towns and amazing scenery. One of my favorites was Ballygalley (sp?) which is actually nearer Belfast. Sweet, sweet little town.

Can't wait to go back! Enjoy,

Wendy

FYI: The roads in NI are in better better shape and typically wider, even the "back" roads. We had no trouble getting through Belfast on the main motorway though we did it with no stops at all, just straight through. Makes the M1around Dublin look slow!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I highly suggest you take the coast road. Our stay at the Meadows B&B in Cushendall was wonderful. We planned to stay there in order to see the Glenariff Forest Park. The waterfall walk is magical. We stayed in Portballintrae (just west of Giant's Causeway). It's an odd town as it doesn't have any stores etc. just homes. We had a great room at the Manor House ([email protected]). It's right on the beach and lovely.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I'm adding into this inquiry because I'm going there too and wondering--is it feasible to start out a day in say either Letterkenny or Londonderry, do the Antrim Coast from Portrush to Larne and then finish up in either Banbridge (about an hour from Larne) or Dundalk (about 1 hr. 45 min. from Larne). Is that too much for one day? It doesn't seem like it, but sometimes you can't tell. I also hope to spend only one day doing Donegal--bottom to top. I may be optimistic here. And before that go from Clifden in Galway to southern Donegal. I think that will work, but not sure about those other two days. I'm really not interested in museums and such. Just a good look around. Thanks for any help you may provide with how long all this will take, and be enjoyable at the same time!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Holldoll. Well you certainly can travel from Derry to Larne in a day, but I don't think you would be able to see very much. I think that a day on the north coast (Derry, Giant's Causeway and Ballycastle.) Then one on the east coast (the Glens) toward Belfast would be much more fun. Have a grand time!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 09:08 PM

I've driven from Ballygally around to Letterkenny in one day, though we left the coast at Portush and took the direct route to Derry from there. It takes about 7 hrs driving time, not allowing for stops.

Besides the obvious places like the Glens, etc. I have a favorite. There is a pretty little resort town called Newcastle that is about 25 miles south of Belfast in Co. Down. Lots of folks miss it, but it is very lovely, with Slieve Donard coming right down to the sea. It's popular with retirees from the UK. The drive from Dublin to there takes you through part of the Mourne Mountains; lovely vistas there.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:15 AM

Holy cow guys! Now I don't know what to do. My time is limited. Thanks for the Newcastle suggestion--I could end up there for the overnight before heading to Dublin. First, do you have a suggestion of a place to stay in Newcastle, preferably a moderately priced hotel? And how long does it take to get from Newcastle to Dublin? I had been using that ViaMichelin website to judge driving times, but it sure sounds like it takes a lot longer than what that site tells you. That site had it figured for about 3.5 hours from Derry to Larne, via the coast. But you say seven! Quite a difference. You see, I can't stay in Larne as I need to be in Dublin by noon the next day, so I'd like to stay closer to Dublin--maybe Newcastle. Any more suggestions are always welcome!
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:42 PM

We were in Belfast this year and did a day trip to the causeway coast. It was a long day but we did see quite a bit including the bridge,Dunluce,Causeway
I would use Ballycastle as a stopping point to give yourself time. It is a nice town.
One thing we timed perfect was Dunluce Castle...if you can go right before closing (when were there it was 5:30 I believe) We had the whole place to ourselves and it really was great to get pictures while it is empty. It was hands down the best castle we saw there.(although it is really more a ruin)
I would say the drive between Belfast and Portrush was about 3 hours without stops but there are sooo many places to stop take your time.
I will make one other suggestion and it will be the one and only time I ever put this place out. We loved this place so much and dont want to see it get over run the way some other towns have.
Anyway...if you will be anywhere near Killyleagh on Strangford Lough on a Saturday, Dufferin Arms has the best music session we saw. In fact we liked it so much we drove 10 hours our last day to get back for one more night. Great food, great pub,great music. NO tourists really.Very authentic. If you go tell Charlie we miss him! Also ask to hear his Reggae Version of "Fields of Athenry"
Cheers!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Some great ideas here. I think the Antrim Coast is easily worth 2-3 days. Danna is absolutely right about the Glenarif Forest Park. Cushendall and Cushendun are great little towns. There are some B&Bs that are right along the beginning of the Torr Rd and I highly recommend that drive. It is like any good scary narrow road in the RoI and is absolutely spectacular. If the weather is clear (and it was for us) you can easily see Scotland from the road. There are a couple of options for turnoffs that will take you well off the beaten path.

Get to the rope bridge early or late to avoid the tour buses. Once they arrive it is a nightmare, especially if you are trying to leave just as they are arriving. You will be tempted to throw them off.

I think I would enjoy the causeway at a much later hour also. It is the main attraction in the area and gets pretty crowded at midday during the shoulder and high seasons.

The Antrim coast road is also spectacular.

I've rambled enough. Have fun!!

Bill
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 09:51 AM

Again, thanks to you. I think I've finally decided that this trip will be Connemara and Donegal, and I'll come back in 2005 for Northern Ireland. It would be cramming too much in without time to properly enjoy the area and the people. And for a treat we've added Castle Leslie the last night before Dublin! The ideas and assistance from people on this site really helped my decision. Thanks to all!!
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 12:41 AM

Castle Leslie will be such a treat! I got married there in March of this year, and it's absolutely wonderful. The castle is beatiful, as are all of the staff. I do hope you enjoy it!

Angela
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Holldoll,
I think you've made a wise decision in cutting back. And, in deciding to concentrate on Connemara and Donegal, you've chosen two of the most beautiful parts of Ireland.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 11:44 AM

Again, thanks for your input. Esp. about Castle Leslie. I feel so much better now with more leisure time and not such a rush! Very much looking forward to it!!