Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crete to Santorini Cosmo Jet okay to book online now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SeaJet web site (and others) have a fast-cat that I can book tickets for now for May 30th (8:30-10:35).

Is it safe to book this far in advance?

Thanx!

http://seajets.forth-crs.gr/english/...BO#RoutesTable
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Yes. If it's showing up on the SeaJets website it's OK to book, but it's not really necessary.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Okay cool - I'm just "one of those people" who likes everything confirmed!

If I wait, how far ahead should I book for June?

Thanx!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM

There can be as many as 3 different ferries running on any given day, so you can just wait until a couple of days before you change islands and buy your tickets at any travel agency near your hotel, or in a ticket office at the port. Ultimately it's up to you and your comfort level as "one of those people".
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 11:35 PM

Frankly I'll be surprised if it is Cosmos Jet doing the run next summer. For the last few years Sea Jets has used Mega Jet for the Heraklion - Santorini route, while last summer Cosmos Jet was used for day excursions from various Cretan ports until it was "Laid up after engine troubles".

Sea Jets Consortium is notorious for changing its timetables, leaving customers rushing to make alternative arrangements. I have heard reports of people having difficulty getting refunds when Sea Jets cancels a sailing. Their catamarans are all getting rather old and suffer from reliability problems.

Were it me, I would at least wait until Hellenic Seaways and Aegean Speed Lines publish their timetables, then decide. As botherleelove wrote, the easiest thing to do is wait until you are on the islands to book your tickets. You can also buy tickets at Athens Airport from Amphitrion Holidays, which is on the Arrivals level and open 24/7.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Wow - good advice!

Thank you - I will do my best to overcome my nature and just wait!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Good for you! I honestly feel that Sea Jets has published its timetables early to rope in early bookers like yourself. If you look at the www.seajets.gr/en/ home page, you will see that Cosmos Jet isn't even shown as part of their fleet. They do own the ship, but it will be a few months before their plans for Cosmos Jet and Mega Jet become clear.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Not a bad move to get business by SeaJets
I'm so used to booking everything whenever I want on the internet - it is always a surprise when you cant! I'm so bad, 95% of the time, I wont even book a hotel unless they have online booking!
I guess I was concerned things might book up on the ferry - and I want to get to Santorini early if possible!
Thanx for the heads up!
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM

We work over 4 years with this company and never have problems with our bookings!
You can book your tickets for Santorini with Cosmos jet and if there is a problem still you can travel with the other speed boat they have mega jet .
Also be aware that all boats change due to weather conditions all the time.
If you let me know when you would like to make that trip I could help you with it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:23 AM

Things have improved since then, but A few years ago problems were so bad that a major booking agency, danae.gr, suspended cooperation with Sea Jets Consortium. Since then they have resumed taking bookings. Danae's announcement read as follows:

"14 Aug 2009 - Discontinuation of cooperation with Seajets consortium
Repeated changes and cancellations of schedules and routes are obliging us, as of today, to put on hold our cooperation with the shipping company “Sea Jets Consortium” operating the ferries “SeaJet”, “SuperJet” and “MegaJet”, in order to protect our clients. This decision only concerns future bookings which will be unable to be done through our website. All clients who already have bought tickets with this shipping company through Danae Travel will, of course, not be affected."

You can read the announcement on their website http://www.danae.gr/news.asp.

I have twice had trips cancelled with one of their other ferries, SeaJet 2, once when it collided with the dock at Tinos, and another time from mechanical breakdown. Friends of mine were stranded on Serifos when another Sea Jets ferry, Superjet, broke down.

I have no bone to pick with Sea Jets, and in fact have used them on other occasions. All I am saying is wait for all the ferry timetables to be published, including Hellenic Seaways and Aegean Speedlines, then make your decision.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 06:46 AM

Very wise advice you gave Heimdall, after all OP will be traveling outside of the high season,there is no reason to rush things.