north yorkshire viaduct

Search

north yorkshire viaduct

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
north yorkshire viaduct

Hello, I was on the website of the North Yorkshire Railway. There is a photo there of the train going under a viaduct. I have a couple of questions. Is this the kind of historical train where you go for a round trip ride all in one day or should you be going somewhere? Also does anyone know where the viaduct is. I am a Canadian paddler and I would love the chance to paddle and it looks like there is a nice little river under the viaduct. Thanks Mac
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM

This isn't a "historical" train.

It's 20 miles of pretty, uncommercial, railway line on which enthusiasts operate mostly steam trains (essentially: whatever engines they've been able to find, acquire and maintain and look nice, but none of them have any historical connection with the line), usually for trips from Whitby to Pickering and back again (about 3 hrs for the whole return journey, including waiting time). You've usually got to book the two legs separately, though there are a few special roundtrips.

The viaduct is probably the Larpool Viaduct, which crosses the Esk. You might find the more commercial Esk Valley line, operated as a conventional, though publicly subsidised, railway by Northern Rail and running along the top of the viaduct, a better way of actually getting to places along the River Esk.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Are you looking at the website of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (www.nymr.co.uk)? This has timetables and information on the route of the railway.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 03:53 AM

The NYMR & Esk Valley line meet at Grosmont - but the other option is to use the Yorkshire Coastliner coach to return
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 05:24 AM

We have a very bad state of affairs when it comes to access to waterways in England and Wales with only 2% of all waterways allowing access to the public. Scotland has near 100% access.
Worth checking what the access, rights are before launching anywhere in England and Wales or you could have an angry farmer asking you to 'get off his land' or worst still a course fisherman (no pun intended) Although the exact legal rights landowners have over waterways is somewhat confused and untested in a court of law. One rule is if it is a historic navigable waterway then you will have rights of access for example the Medway in Kent.
This link might help
http://www.riversaccess.org/pages/pv.asp?p=rac3&fsize=0
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Well that is all the information I could possibly expect. You have correctly identified the viaduct and gave me the information I needed to plan around this. Mac