North Wales 7 days - what to do?

Old May 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

North Wales 7 days - what to do?

North Wales: If you had 7 days in North Wales in June (with a car) what would be your ideal itinerary?
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:55 PM

OK - I'll play. I can give you an "ideal" itinerary, if you give us a hint what sorts of things you like.

Love Castles, or get "castled out"? Love gardens or couldn't care less? Interested in industrial history? How about steam trains?

help us out here . . . .
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the offer. Have got to confess that I know very little about Wales and things Welsh. Live in Sydney, Australia. Two years ago we spent a few weeks in England & Scotland, now in June Wales & Ireland. Interested in castles, history and cultural differences. Have listed a few places that I've read of and may visit/spend time enjoying:- 1. Castles 2. Anglesay Island 3. Chester 4. Ironbridge 5. Betws-y-coed 6. choirs singing 7. Snowdonia. Have booked a timeshare place near Rhyl. Would like to begin to understand How are the Welsh different from English, Scottish, Irish?
Old May 7th, 2005, 03:30 AM

Jim-I'm going to have a think about this and I'll come back. In the meantime , June is the month we usually have the best weather so that's a good start.
Old May 7th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Rhyl will be a good base for seeing the north coast, Chester, etc. You will have to drive a bit to see places to the south like Powis and Aberystwyth but they are certainly w/i reach.

If you are at all interested in the Beatles you could combine Chester and Liverpool in one day teip.

The "musts" for me would include Conwy, Caernarvon, Snodonia and the mtn railway, Bodnant Gardens, Powis Castle and probably Portmerion. Angelsey isn't my favorite but I'd do a day trip to Carnarvon and then across to the Isle that included Beaumaris Castle and Plas Newydd (There is another Plas Newydd at Llangollen which is also worth a trip)

The Alternative Technology museum is between Dolgellau and Machynlleth - I've only been once many years ago after it first opened but understand it has developed into a very interesting excursion.

And I'd try to squeeze in Penryn Castle, Chirk, Betws-y-coed and Harlech at minimum.

You will have PLENTY to keep you busy.

(Please ignore any misspellings of some of the names - I know most of them but Welsh place names are tough
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Oh - meant to add - don't schedule the train trip up Snowden for a specific day. Wait til you are there and know the weather. I think I was up Snowden 3 times before I ever saw anything because of clouds/rain/mist.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM

1.Keep Ironbridge up your sleeve for when there is a days rain forecast in Wales- believe me , it DOES happen!Not that Ironbridge is all indoors but it is something you can do whenit is raining.
2.Especially in early June drive up the Vale of Clwyd to Denbigh then take the B5382 over the mountains via llansannan and Llangernyw to Llanrwst and Betws Y Coed.You have beautiful countryside and views on this trip and a look at market towns in Denbigh and Llanrwst.From Betws Y Coed go to Blaenau Ffestinog and visit one of the slate mines which are open to the public. This is something else you can do in the rain.
If you are tired circle back via Bala, learn about Mary Jones and her bible and see the lake. bala is pretty unspoilt and you will hear a lot of Welsh spoken. The coutryside around here is also very dramatic.
3.Schedule Sunday lunch at the hotel in Portmeirion or Castell Deudraeth which is in the grounds. Alunch booking in either entitles you to froo entry into the village which otherwise stood at £6.00 per person 2 weeks ago.My choice is the hotel- I think the view from the dining room makes it worth while.Take time to wander through the gaedens which I had never seen before my last visit . There are lots of interesting trees and a leaflet to explain them. The walk takes you along the estaury towards the sea.
After lunch cross the little toll bridge in Penrhyndeudraeth and head towards Harlech and the coast of Meirionydd.Head south through Dyffryn Ardudwy and visit the chapel featured in the picture of the old lady which you will see for sale in every craft shop.
If the tale of Mary Jones has gripped you you can visit the site of her home at Llanfihangel Y Pennant. It was from there that she walked to Bala to buy her bible.Nearby are the ruins of Castell Y Bere- one of the Welsh castles as compared with the famous ones which were built by the English to keep the Welsh out.
4.On Wednesday you have a market in Pwllheli where again you will hear a lot of Welsh. Sadly it is not a market of local produce but it still draws people into the town.After that travel to Aberdaron which for many years was the home of R.S.Thomas the poet.There is a lovely little chuch right on the edge of the sea.
The area has super beaches but also a touch of widerness.You will find little pubs although many of them are run by non-locals.A sad reflection of depopulation as local people want something more than life in a beautiful area.
You can take in Carnarfon on your way back from the Lleyn Peninsula and again you will hear a lot of Welsh here.
5.Anglesey. I note that you are taking in Ireland the same visit.If you are travelling via Holyhead you could visit Anglesy the same day you arrive/leave.
Beaumaris is the gem on the island. Visit the castle ,the prison and the courthouse.Several places to eat- we went to Neptune recently which has an emphasis on fish and is also open at luchtime. It was good and I'll go again. There is also the Brasserie in the Bull but the last time I was there the service was slow.If the weather is nice you could spend the whole day just enjoying Beaumaris.You could also have an early dinner on your way back through Menai Bridge at Ruby or the Menai Tandoori- both recommended.
As long a syou have a car there is loads to do on Anglesey. Probably my favourite is to walk to Llanddwyn Island either across the beach or through the woods- a better option if its windy.I've posted before abot the Pilots cottages on th island so I won't go over it again.
The remaining days you can go to England!

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Sorry - I should have previewed that!
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Janis & Frances, thank you both for your generous assistance. We will carry the two sets of advice to Wales and try to combine them into our itinerary. When I put specific days to your suggestions, the week just flies.Thank you again, Jim & Carol.