Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > North Sea Fish or Rock and Sole Plaice for Fish & Chips?

North Sea Fish or Rock and Sole Plaice for Fish & Chips?

Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

North Sea Fish or Rock and Sole Plaice for Fish & Chips?

Everyone here seems to love both, but when I googled North Sea Fish Restaurant, I was surprised that on one travel website, many felt the place was old and dated, and hated the service.

Most said there fish & chips were around 16 pounds per order - is that how much both North Sea and Rock and Sole cost?

With the terrible conversion rate, I wasn't expecting it to cost that much, since I always thought of it as "street food".
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM

<<<I wasn't expecting it to cost that much, I always thought of it as "street food". >>>

Yes, becauase you buy it and eat it as "street food" not at a table in a restaurant
Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:17 AM

hi, anna,

£16 seems a lot for fish and chips, even eaten sitting down. Rock and cod should be cheaper than sole, or you could have haddock or plaice.

Here in Cornwall, take away fish & chips would be about £3.50. £5-6 eat in. [unless you're eating at rick steins, in which case it might be £16 but that's not what you go there for].

A normal "chippy" with a restaurant shouldn't cost more than £10pp for a really superior meal. if it does, you're being ripped off. Lots of pubs will have fish and chips on their menu for less than that.

regards, ann

Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:25 AM

Neither place charges as much as £16 for fish and chips. About half that from memory.

The North sea is a proper restaurant - with tablecoths, napking a wine list etc.

Rock and Sole is a chippy - formica tables - squeezy ketchup bottles etc.

I think the North Sea knocks it into a cocked hat - but it's all a matter of taste.

There are lots of other really good chippies in london (pay no head to our northern friends who maintain there isn't a decent chippy south of Leeds - remember that they are kestrel strangling dole-moles)
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:52 AM

Yes but decent fish and chips requires a high incidence of dole-moles.

Low unemployment means catering staff who don't understand how to batter fish properly: I once had a Serbian (or was it Brazilian?) waiter at the Sea Shell tell me it didn't matter that the fish hadn't been descaled "because no-one eats the skin or batter". And, round most railway stations, it means Slavs who think it's good for our souls to have fish that's sat in the hot box getting cold and cardboardy and chips that are all scratching and no spud.

I don'r know where the poster got this sixteen quid stuff from, and who gives a spoonful of mushy peas what the bloody service is like for crying out loud? (Waddya want: fish or some smarmy waiter?). But most chippies inside the Circle Line are crap - and preposterously priced. In kestrel-strangling land, it's close to impossible to find a bad chippy (or to find an edible anything else, outside the Liverpool or Manchester China belts)

The two central London places Anna quotes are exceptions, though one of the few other others (Fryers Delight in Theobalds Rd) requires a positively Northern tolerance of beef dripping as the frying medium.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:05 AM

So you can't get a decent price on an english standard of fish and chips in London, without scales anyway, and beef drippings is the preferred cooking medium and what the heck is knocking into a cocked hat! I am with you Flanneruk, who cares about the service and if there is anything more then a formica counter I am assuming you are being ripped off. thereyet
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM

I'd second Fryers delight in Holborn. Despits it's faint air of Northern Monkey it really is very good.

This is Time Out's take:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...ures/28/2.html

Here's the review of the North Sea (which I have been to with some Fodors folks):

http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...iews/9402.html

And the rock and sole:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restau...iews/9403.html

I also am not over fond of the seashell. It feels like a tourist trap.

IMHO the best in London are Bradys in Wandsworth - but it's not exactly on the beaten track
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM

Hi, again,

thereyet - "knocks it into a cocked hat" means it's the bees knees, much better, far superior etc.

there used to be a very superior chippy just north of marylebone, but can't remember its name as it was a long time ago - 30 years.

good luck in your quest.

regards, ann
Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM

North Sea is both a take away (on the left side) and a sit-down restaurant (on the right), so you can decide how you want to enjoy your fish and chips. The prices are higher at the restaurant than at the take away. We ate at the restaurant and it was outstanding. I'd go back in a heartbeat. I don't remember the price, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't as high as £16/person.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM

I love the North Sea, and always make a point to go when I'm in London, especially as I like to stay in Bloomsbury. I don't remember prices, but just that it was quite reasonable. Haven't been to Rock and Sole, but maybe I'll try that next time. I LOVE fish and chips!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know half of what was being said.

If I were to pick between the two, which would you recommened?
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM

Okay, is North Sea Fish the same seafood chain restaurant that I enjoyed so much in Vienna last year, and also saw somewhere else that I can't think of right now (it all starts to blur after awhile....) But in Vienna it's called NORDSEE?

If it is, I like it-excellently priced seafood meals, of a great variety, plus take-away seafood sandwiches, salads, the works-this place is for me.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Nope, different place.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Speaking of kestrel-strangling, is this an activity that an intrepid tourist can partake in, or is it best left to the locals? If the latter, is there anyplace particularly recommended for kestrel-strangulation viewing?
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Kestrel strangling is mainly a domestic activity. It's grim up north.

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Since no-one in the North lives outside the big cities, the area's population wouldn't recognise a kestrel if it flew up to them with a big placard saying "Strangle Me".

Audere bases his knowlege on a few trips to Anfield and Elland Rd (where they'll strangle any effete southern fop) and too much time as a youth in arthouse cinemas when us Northerners would have been in snooker halls or Yates's Wine Lodges.

A couple of decades back, before it latched on to Hugh Grant (or is it that fat American woman?) playing Jane Austen heroines, Britain's film industry consisted entirely of fantasies about rugged, nature-loving Northerners.

One particular load of tosh (doubtless available for nothing on the "won't someone PLEASE rent this for a night" page of your Netflix site) was "Kes", an everyday story about a typical young Northern lad and his love affair with a kestrel (or something with lots of feathers). Rivetting in its sheer ghastliness, it doubtless left a mark on Audere's impressionable young mind.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:09 AM

'tis true. I rarely go up north (on the grounds of its grimness) and indeed consider London to be in the North (I am a PROPER shandy drinking southern ponce - any further south and I'd speak French)

As far as I am aware the following activities occur in t'north:

Trouble at t'mill

Kestrel Strangling

Brian Glover bullying kids

Kitchen sinks and teenage pregnancies

Keeping coal in the bath

LS Lowry

Stanley wielding mickeys (it's not called Stanley park for nowt)

Rugby league

Coronation Street

Women that look like les Dawson.

It's grim up north. Reet grim.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Do you know why it's called Stanley Park?

It's the family name of the Earls of Derby (locally pronounced the way the Americans pronounce the race in Kentucky), who own most of north Liverpool, and have their family seat at a pile called Knowsley a few miles along the West Derby Road.

In fact I think the "Anfield this way" signs from the M62 take you past their front gates. Certainly I pass them whenever I drive up from the effete south to the flannergraves (practically all flanners who've died in England are buried at the Goodison side of the Stanley Park cemetery: a prospect that caused some of them premature and fatal apoplexy)

Now the Derbys acquired their wealth and prestige by methods Yeltsin's chums would have been pretty familiar with, all of which would have incurred an ASBO or two if they tried them these days. So I've always assumed Stanley knives were named after their now ennobled, earliest, wielders.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Decent fish and chips is not available anywhere in England!! To sample this traditional British fare,at its best, you must travel north of the border and sample a fish supper from a seaside fish and chip shop.
Apr 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM

In Scotchland they deep fry mars bars in their chippies.

The average life expectancy of a male in some parts of Glasgow is 56.

There could be a connection.

It's even grimmer in Scotchland

Search this Thread