Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   North or South? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/north-or-south-363575/)

paqrtravis Oct 5th, 2003 01:32 PM

North or South?

I am going to Ireland in March. I am flying into Shannon and leaving from Dublin. I will be renting a car and am going to drive either the coast to the north and around to Dublin or to the south. Just wondering if you could only choose one, which would it be? Thank you!

waffle18 Oct 6th, 2003 06:43 AM

Oooooooo, tough question. And it really depends on your interests.

Since it is cheaper in the Republic and you are not going in the high tourist season AND I'm assuming you are going for the first time...

Go South.

Danna Oct 6th, 2003 05:32 PM

The Glenariff Forest Park on the Antrim Coast is magical! You also could stay at the Meadows B&B in Cushendall where we found refuge in a gale. The north coast is pretty cool. Have a grand time!

paqrtravis Oct 6th, 2003 06:05 PM

Yes it is my first time to Ireland. I figured it would also be shorter of a coast line from Shannon south over to Dublin so I could spend some more time in areas instead of feeling like I have to rush, if I were to take a longer coast line north. But that is just a guess. Plus maybe at that time of the year it might be a little warmer on the southern coast than the north. Not like it will be much of a difference if any at all. Any other ideas anyone??

Ardfert Oct 7th, 2003 01:12 AM

Most people on this board who visit Ireland seem to do Shannon,Cliffs of Moher,Dingle,Ring of Kerry,Killarney.You can if you wish proceed then to Blarney Castle,Rock of Cashel,Kilkenny,Glendalough/Wicklow mountains and Dublin or you could go straight to Dublin from any of them.I found the south coast far more interesting than the north coast.

Budman Oct 7th, 2003 01:47 AM

Go South. Include in your itinerary 2 days in Dingle and 2 days in Kinsale. ((b))

panhandle Oct 7th, 2003 06:46 AM

I just returned yesterday from a first time visit to Ireland. Without giving to much detail we went to Belfast up the Antrim coast through Donegal and Fermanagh. We then headed south and went through Connemara and then as far south as Clares Cliffs of Moher. Prices are cheaper in the Republic on most things however...Pints and food are cheaper in the North. Our favorite area for scenery was Donegal. Whichever you choose...leave enough time to wander off the road you planned and most important..give yourself time to get to know the people you meet. One day in a town IMO isnt the way to go. In fact next time we will pick one or two towns and really learn the area and the people.

waffle18 Oct 7th, 2003 08:19 AM

Trav

Driving either of the coasts is never a short road in Ireland. So much of it IS coast that it will take you about the same amount of time - that is, if you stick to the coast with no cross cuts.

It "should" be a bit warmer in the South and possibly less rain. But Ireland is only about 150 miles wide and 300 miles long so the same weather is pretty much all over. It just may stop sooner in one area!

Panhandle's suggestion of picking an area or two and concentrating on them is a good one. Make a list of places you are interested in visiting and then look through your travel guide (I prefer Frommer's) and online to make sure those places will be open when you are there.

In the end, you can't go wrong as both parts are amazing and beautiful. I love it all!

Wendy

paqrtravis Oct 13th, 2003 02:24 PM

Thank you everyone for your info, I am sure I will have many more Q's as march gets closer.

I think I am going to do the south, and try to concentrate on a few areas!

LindyE Oct 14th, 2003 08:50 AM

Go South!!
It was beautiful!

Clifton Oct 14th, 2003 03:18 PM

So much to choose from on a first time around, even when you decide to pick on half of the island or the other. Not sure what the length of your stay is, but most people do hit the big ticket items on that southerly loop. Cliffs of Moher/Burren (not exactly on the arc), Dingle, Killarney or Kenmare w/ Ring of Kerry, Kinsale, Cashel, Cahir, Kilkenny and then up to Dublin. Since you'll get and have gotten lots of valuable advice on these places, I'll go another way.

It sort of depends on what you're after. All the places you've heard and read about, or more a slice of the everyday. If you look to get into some areas that aren't as much on the regular path (or a mix of sites and off-track) there are some nice options along the way too.

For off the path, personally, I like the western Co. Waterford area along the coast and around Lismore; Carrick and Clonmel in Tipperary; Beara pennisula; West Cork coast from Clonakilty all the way out to Sheeps Head; Wicklow mountains south of Dublin just away from Glendalough.

Have fun!