North of Venice - day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions for a day trip north from Venice? We will be driving from Venice to Sacile (80km north of Venice) to visit the Fazioli Piano factory and would like to make a day of it since we will have a car. Ideally, we would like to leave Venice in the morning, spend the am and have lunch somewhere interesting before arriving at Sacile around 2:30pm. Just a short jaunt.

thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I have two ideas. If you got an early start you could go all the way to Cortina and the Dolomites--some spectacular mountain scenery. A bit closer would be a trip to the Palladio Villa at Maser--also close to Asolo--a charming village.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bob -

I had not heard of the Palladio Villa at Maser. When I looked it up online I was amazed! How gorgeous. That would be a swell day trip from Venice. Cortina would be awesome, but maybe too far to relax and enjoy it. thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Just be sure it is open that day--they keep funny hours.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:27 PM

It may not be dramatic, but I like the little town of Pordenone. It is pretty much just a town where everyday people live and work, no tourism, but the old town area is quite pretty. It is not far from Sacile. There is a fabulous candy maker with a little store there, mostly chocolates. There is a pretty church, good shopping, nice coffee places, etc.

There is also a really good restaurant, but I am very sorry, I don't have the name of it. I know if you are facing the old church in old town center, to your left is where little shops begin. If you turn and walk that way, one of the first little places on your right is the restaurant. It doesn't have a real sign, just a picture of a chicken. The chef makes two main courses each day, one fish, one something else, and what ever vegetables he wants to put with it. That is it. You get whatever he cooks that day, no real menu. It is fabulous! Local people all seem to know about the place and should be able to point it out to you if you should stop there.

Unfortunately, I don't know the hours because I was there only for dinner so didn't check out the times it is open.
If anyone else is familiar with Pordenone and knows the name of either the chocolate maker or the restaurant, I would appreciate having it. I've been to both, but was tired and forgot to write either of them down.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There's a beachtown a bit north of Venice if you are tired of sightseeing and just want to relax and swim.
http://www.jesolo.it/
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM

If you are planning to take the motorway from the Venice area, pls note that a new bypass around Venice/ Mestre opened just in the last few weeks and so ALL your printed maps will be out of date.

As were ours, when we travelled that highway 2 weeks ago!

A little unnerving but we got where we were going in the end.

The mountainous route, via motorway, from Treviso past Vittorio Veneto to Belluno is stunning: I have seldom enjoyed a motorway drive so much. We got off and took the local road around Lago di Santa Croce -- pretty but not a patch on Lago di Garda, which we visited earlier that week.

We greatly enjoyed Feltre but that is a little off your path -- ilkely too far west, if Sacile is your destination.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

These suggestions are all fantastic.
Bob - I did check the hours on the villa at Maser.
Sass - I am quite intrigued by the restaurant in Pordenone - I will have to do some searching on that one.
Ky - probably not tired of sightseeing. We just want to make the trip to Sacile a little more interesting.
Ted - thanks for the head's up on the motorway. I wonder where we can get updated information?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Last April we visited Villa at Maser and found it to be open on a day/time that it was not adverised to be open. It was fantastic!