North East Italy

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 01:35 AM
Mike

North East Italy

Other than the usual highlights of Venice and Verona,can anyone suggest an itinerary for north east italy in august.Ido not mind paying for good quality hotels,provided you get value for your money and have hired a carout of venice.Anything will do sea,mountains or cities.Thank you. <BR>Mike.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 03:35 AM
Paulo

Will you have a car, Mike, or are you relying exclusively on public transportation? How many days are you going to stay in Venice? Do you have at least one spare night before going to Venice? <BR> <BR>Once you're travelling in August, if you're interested, I may have a very good suggestion for: <BR>a) staying very cheap in a spa resort hotel, at easy striking distance from Padua, Vicenza, Treviso and even Verona; <BR>b) saving you the garage expenses in Venice if you have a car; and <BR>c) enabling you to store safely and for free all the luggage you won't need in Venice <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 04:27 AM
mike

Thanks Paulo,yes i will have a car and will spend my first week in venice. <BR>Mike

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 05:41 AM
Paulo

Well, Mike, just south of Padua, there is a big termal resort area: Terme Euganee. The two largest centers are Abano Terme (with more hotels and a bit more upscale) and Montegrotto Terme (developped more recently). During the summer, specially July and August, it's very low season in this area. To have an idea, some 4 years ago, we used a 3-star resort hotel in Montegrotto, with central A/C (all hotel dependences), all ammenities and lots of pools, very good breakfast, etc., and paid Lit 65,000 per person/night (we used a double and a single). Two years ago, a couple friend of ours used another 3-star in Montegrotto and paid Lit 170,000 for a double which they had reserved on line. Also a couple of years ago, an internet "friend" used the scheme in Abano Terme for visiting Venice with kids and was also very pleased. <BR> <BR>Actually, you don't need to reserve. All hotels are quite empty and willing to deal. If you don't have restrictions against bargaining, you'd be able to make a very good deal. Just drive to a hotel, look if you like it and bargain your rate. I bet that you'd be able to stay in a 4-star for under Lit 200,000 a night. <BR> <BR>Now, just paying little for very nice hotels wouldn't be enough if you're not interested in bathing yourself in their pools. Both, Montegrotto and Abano are well served by trains (Montegrotto somewhat better, because some trains don't stop in Abano). There are trains at least every hour and you may reach Padua (10 minutes), Venice (40 minutes), Vicenza (45 minutes), Treviso (1 hour) and Verona (1:15 hour). To Vicenza, Treviso and Verona there's a train connection in Padua. These are all cities worth visiting. <BR> <BR>Since you have a car, you could use Montegrotto or Abano as a base to explore Verona, Vicenza and Treviso. To Padua it doesn't pay. Parking is difficult and the train is a much better option. The driving times to Verona, Vicenza and Treviso are, respectively, 1 hour, 40 min, 50 min. Visits to Vicenza and Treviso may be tied together. <BR> <BR>One other city worth visiting is Ferrara (45 min drive) and you may even consider Ravenna, stretching it a bit (2 hours, one way). Alternatively, you may decide to visit Ferrara on route to Ravenna and spend the night there. <BR> <BR>Now, if you have a spare night BEFORE going to Venice, you may deal with the hotel to keep your car and excess lugagge and take the train into Venice. My friends used this scheme (dealt it over the net with Hotel Eliseo in Montegrotto if I'm not wrong): one night before going into Venice and two nights after, to explore the Veneto. <BR> <BR>Finally, after you have toured the Veneto, you may decide to have some of the Dolomites, and drive to Cortina. To visit Cortina on a day trip out of Montegrotto or Abano would be stretching things a bit, once the drive should take about 2:15 hours, one way. A night there would be called for. In August Cortina is in the height of the summer season, and reservations would be a must. <BR> <BR>I have no hotels to recommend you in Montegrotto or Abano. I don't even remember the name of the hotel we used in Montegrotto (it was the first one on the right hand main street, closest to the train station). I just drove to this first hotel in the street, liked it and the price tag and we stayed. There are several hotels in Montegrotto and Abano with web pages if you don't feel at ease going without a reservation. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 05:59 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mike, I love that area, especially the <BR>Dolomites. Try this itinerary: <BR>Asolo <BR>Bassano del Grappa {stay here] <BR>Cortina <BR>Val Gardena[stay at Ortisei] <BR>Riva del Garda <BR>Verona <BR> This will give you some awesome natural <BR>beauty and some down time on the Lake. <BR>I have done this route twice. Good luck!

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:05 AM
ian

I'd spend all my time away from venice in august-it will be packed and the lagoon stinks!Ian

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:34 AM
John

Hi, Mike <BR>We stayed some years ago at a wonderful castle hotel more or less on the fringe of the mountains in the wine growing region near Bolzano. Check out Schloss Korb at http://www.highlight-hotels.com/korb/en/haus.html <BR>The Dolomites and the areas around are very rewarding.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:39 AM
roman

Hi Mike, <BR> <BR>I recommend Bellagio on Lake Como. We stayed at the Belvedere and had the most spectacular view from there. I would not eat in their dining room as they cater to German tourists so the lighting is bright and the cooking very heavy. (This was explained to me as I wondered why such a great location and view did not have dining in softer lighting). This part of Italy is truly beautiful and fresh, especially after seeing all the touristy cities.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Richard

Mike, After Venice, drive West to Verona, a 1/2 day trip to Sirmione (Scaligers' Castle), North to Bolzano and the Dolomite Road to Cortina D'Ampezzo, side trips to Ortisei (Val Gardena) stop for a view of the Marmolada, at the Passo di Falzarego ride the cable car.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Paulo

Oops, Mike, I didn't take into account the fact that you're spending a week in Venice and your other post indicates you should be spending at least a night in Verona or neighborhood. The scheme I suggested above may come handy for people spending the usual 3 days in Venice. <BR>I take it that you'll be doing some day trips out of Venice, by train. Padua and Vicenza are nice daytrip candidates. Personally, I also like Treviso very much. It's not a "normal" tourist destination and it should provide some respite with respect to Venice crowds. <BR>I think you should forget about the sea in August. All of the shore, south and north of Venice, should be packed, specially in mid August (the Italian Ferragosto). In your specific case, I would favor Bob's suggestion. After Venice and some of the Veneto, I would also head to the Dolomites and end my tour in Verona and Lake Garda. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 10:03 AM
ian

i agree with paulo,make sure you see the lakes,the dolomites are ideal for short stays to view the surrounding area <BR>IAN

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 10:22 AM
Dayle

Mike, another vote for the Dolomites. On my first trip to Italy, we skied for a week based out of Cortina. The Dolomites are spectacular! I could spend weeks there. The tram ride up Passo di Falzareggo is wonderful. I imagine many of the other trams also run in the summer for hikers/sightseers. Is that correct, Paolo?

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Paulo

There are dozens of lifts that are working in the summer. On a clear day, I recommend going up the glacier Marmolada, the ceiling of the Dolomites. The Falzarego rock lift is also in use. In Cortine there are 3 or 4 ... just about everywhere there's at least one lift working. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Richard

I feel compelled to clarify my use of "cable car" for the ride at Passo di Falzarego, I should have said Funivia.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 12:27 PM
mike

Thanks to everyone who's responded i look forward to the dolomites! Does anyone know anything about a hotel outside verona called Villa Del Quar?A friend recommended it as a base for the area. <BR>Mike.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Paulo

Haven't visited it, Mike ... it's supposed to be just about the best hotel in the area (close to the city, the other one, farther away, is Villa Fiordaliso). It's an old villa in the middle of the vineyards of Valpolicella. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 02:46 PM
alan

Hi Mike! After spending a week fighting the crowds etc. in Venice, Verona,Vicenza,Merano, Bolzano to Cortina is a great drive. we stayed in San Vito, anice little town. Merano is also a pleasant place. Venice is a beautiful city but a week, maybe everyone has to make up their own mind on it. alan

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Ian

Can anyone tell me roughly the travel time by road from marco polo airport in Venice to cortina?Are the roads of good quality between Venice and the dolomites generally?Thanks, <BR>Ian

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 05:16 PM
Dayle

I seem to remember the drive taking about 2 hours, but this was on a bus. I may be wrong, Paolo can correct me if I am, because I was quite dazed from 36 hours of straight travel. Don't ask...

Old Feb 2nd, 2000, 10:57 AM
paulo

Dayle, you're right. By car it should take about 1:45 hours, the fast route. One takes the divided tollway A27 till its end (or its beginning). This should take some 50 minutes. The drive on the S51 to Cortina (about 60 km) should take a bit under one hour if you don't have to surpass too many trucks. The road is ok and the views are quite something, but there are quite a few curves ... <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -