normandy region/bayeux, france

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all!...my husband and i are spending 2 days in bayeux. aside from the memorials and the beaches(my husband is a WW II buff)any suggestions for things to do in such a tiny town? we are planning a trip to mont saint-michel, any other suggestions? we will have a car(and again-it will only be 2 days). thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:25 PM

Well there is no way you should miss the Tapestry (which depicts the events leading up to and the invasion of England in 1066) and museum - it's absolutely incredible. Bayeux is worth the trip for that alone.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:36 PM

If you've only got two days in Bayeux and want to do WWII sites on one day and Mont-Saint-Michel on the next I think that covers most of 2 days right there. Tiny is a relative term for Bayeux as it is the largest town in the immediate vicinity. There is the famous tapestry to visit and the cathedral as these are the most famous sites in town. The village is pleasant enough to stroll in too with lots of centuries old buildings.

I think most people would suggest you do one of the day long guided tours of the D-Day sites to get the most out of your visit to these sites. There are numerous companies that offer day long guided tours. For more info on things to do in Bayeux here is a link to their tourist office website:

http://www.bessin-normandie.com/web/index.php

MSM is about 1-1/2 hours driving distance from Bayeux, so about 3 hours round trip. Plan on about 3 hours on the Mont and there's 6 hours of the day gone. Something you might consider is meandering on the small side roads on the way back to Bayeux to see tiny, unknown centuries old villages and enjoy some scenic countryside.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM

If you are thinking about staying at Lion d'Or know that although it is a very nice hotel there is no ligt and when we were there no bell hop either..Bad knees didn't cut any ice and we ended up on the 3rd floor.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM

lift..that is, not ligt
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Churchill Hotel in Bayeux offers a daily shuttle to Mont-Saint-Michel.

http://www.hotel-churchill.fr/en.php

FWIW, I think if your husband is a serious WWII buff, he's going to feel one day to see the D-Day sights is/was not enough. Even if you take a guided tour.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

@jean-i know my husband could spend the week there and the surrounding countryside-carentan/caan/orne/etc...we are actually flying into paris and immediately renting a car to drive to bayeux for 2 days then back to paris for 5 and a flight to barcelona for 6...then back to seattle...the limited time is ok with him...he just wants to see what he has read about for years...thank you for the info on the shuttle too!
@all-it appears simply driving the countryside would be the best use of our time-and actually what we'd planned-so thank you thank you and Merci...
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM

You must do the tapestry as others have said.
Also, I would add the Bayeux Cathedral and the Caen Peace Museum (if you can - I not sure you can fit it):
http://www.memorial-caen.fr/portailgb/

We spent 4 nights in Bayeux two years ago and loved it.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Agree about the Caen Mémorial. I can't imagine being that close and not visiting it (though 4 hours there went by in the blink of an eye, and your time is short).
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Tapestry, the Peace Memorial, Arromanches, the landing beaches (including Pointe du Hoc), and all the miles between... is too much for one day. Your husband should identify his priorities.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

every journey starts with the first step...thank you for all the suggestions...