Normandy - Pays d'Auge - Suggested Sites to Visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Normandy in mid-October and will be driving through the Pays d'Auge countryside on our way to Bayeux. Looking for picturesque towns and countryside to visit. Suggested driving routes would be welcome. Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM

See if you are near Beauvron Sur Auge . They have a wonderful Cider and Calvados festival in October
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM

The Michelin Green Guide to Normandy has some nice suggestions.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Beauvan Sur Auge is lovely with an excellent restaurant.Le Pave D'Auge
also the countryside around Pierrefitte-en-Auge where we had a delightful lunch at the Deux Tonneaux. Be sure to try the Camembert nothing like we buy here and the Calvados much better than I find here at a decent price.
The drive through suisse Normandy is lovely.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM

I'll tell you about a wonderful drive I just did a short time ago that I'm positive you will enjoy. It will take you slightly out of the offical Auge region for the last 2 towns but I'm sure you would like them both. You'll need a Michelin map of the region.

Start in Deauville and head south on the D677. Just a kilometer or two south of here look for signs to a town called Touques (on your left). Just a tiny little ancient place but really cute and worth stopping for a few minutes and maybe have a cafe and pastry. Continuing south on the D677 look for signs on your right to Beaumont en Auge. Cute place. From here your next stop will be Pont-l'Eveque (a famous French cheese) and also very cute. Stop and stroll around and smell the roses, or buy some cheese. Just south of Pont-l'Eveque on your map you'll notice a whole bunch of roads highlighted in green and they are all nice scenic country roads. Very green and fertile country with lots of farms and rolling terrain and hills and tiny anonymous villages. We picked up the D48 heading south out of Pont-l'Eveque and after a few kilometers took a left and entered a small village called Le Breuil en Auge and from here picked up the D264A. After a few kilometers we took a left on the D98 and headed for a village called Blangy le Chateau (very cute). From here pick your route but head east to the town of Cormeilles. Very charming village and one of the larger little towns around. Stop here for just a bit and stroll around. Walk up the hill and see the unusual church. Keep walking uphill past the church and get some great photos of the town below you with scenic country vistas. Next, head northeast to Pont-Audemer. As you approach it don't be put-off by the ugly commercial and industrial zone around it. This is a common feature of French zoning. The main town/city is usually ringed by industrial and commercial zones. To find your way to the center look for signs that say “Centre Ville”. Once there you will find a beautiful village with your familiar half timbered houses and a little canal. Just charming. I believe their market days are Monday and Friday. I guarantee you will love this drive.

If you have time for more than 1 drive look for a town called Beuvron en Auge. The Michelin map has a designated scenic road (highlighted in green) starting here. Take it from Beauvron en Auge east. You'll notice a couple of chateau's on the map that you can drive by on your way. I haven't done this drive myself but it's on my list.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM

It's Beuvron-en-Auge.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your posts - will definitely visit Beuvron-en-Auge.

FrenchMystiqueTours - the detailed itinerary you provided is much appreciated - we'll work your suggested route into our tour.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 03:45 AM

My husband and I just got back from Normandy and had an AMAZING time!!! I would like to suggest a B & B that we stayed in that was absolutely LOVELY! It was in the middle of Mont St. Michel a site you should definitely see... it's one of UNESCO's heritage sites and between Caen where the war memorial is located. ( it's it the middle takes about an hour to get to each place, but the drive is majestical) The B&B website is http://www.kilkennyfrance.eu/ You can google map it and see the exact location for yourself. Their prices are great! 40/45 Euros per night and the wife Jerry cooks an AMAZING breakfast every morning that is included in the price.

If you want to take a D-Day tour... we found a tour that was FARRRRR cheaper then all the other tours advertised because it is through the Caen Museum. It was only 35 Euros with the price of the museum included. You can go to the museum on the same day or another. The tour is from 1:30 to 6:00 and it takes you to all the main sites and the American Cemetery. It is not advertised a lot. You have to call the museum and ask for their 35 Euro Bus Tour. They tour is only on Wed, Fri, & Sat.

This area is lovely! You will have a great time.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM

I like what Frenchmystiquetours has offered. We actually used Cormeilles as a base before moving on to Honfleur. We stayed at

http://www.venere.com/de/hotel/corme...76880#pictures

Nothing super fancy, but nice in an antique sort of way and the restaurant was super! We were there when they were having a festival with all sorts of straw figures decorating the businesses. It was a very quaint, pittoresque town.