Normandy first , what's next?

Nov 1st, 2005, 05:11 PM
DiG
Original Poster

Normandy first , what's next?

Following up from my previous post.

To grosnb & others who did go to Giverny after picking up their rental car, did you go and visit the gardens and museum, and then end at your hotel later that day?

We'll be flying from Boston so hopefully our experience will be the same as our trip to Italy, jetlag hit us later in the evening when we'd normally be asleep, Mimar brought this to my attention.

Gretchen, I ran out and bought a Michelin Green guide as soon as DH said we were cleared to start planning! I'll probably be the driver that day. If I have the same adrenaline as I had when we landed in Italy driving 90 minutes will be a breeze. Chartres
would fit nicely on the return, thanks for the suggestion.

Hopingtotravel, the plan is to have only carryon luggage. Not taking anything we can't manage on our own, major rookie mistake learned the hard way on a previous trip, mostly my fault. Also, we want to avoid lost luggage at CDG or waiting in any more lines than necessary.

The goal is to use the time wisely learning how to operate the rental car & rereading the directions before we leave the lot. Another mistake, one my DH has no problem agreeing to, after he drove around Florence in a circle 3x trying to get out of the city. LOL! How I love him!!!

For this trip we did consider taking the train out & getting car in another town but didn't want to add on the cost of train travel. Also looked into
Rail'n Drive Pass but it's 4 train days, 2 car days.

Undecided as to stay 1-2 nights at 1st base?

Planning stage Itinerary:

Day0 ON fly from Boston.

D1 Arrive Paris. PU rental car.
Drive to Giverny & visit, then go to hotel?

or Drive to Hotel, walk around there,
dinner, bed?

D2 Go to Giverny, see Gardens in the morning for the 1st time?

Return to hotel, unwind, for 2nd night OR drive to Etreat?

If stay 2N in Giverny area:
I'm a green thumber, would love to see the gardens at different times of the day, but DH will surely want to skip this if I'm dragging him back to see
hydragenas & lily ponds again.

D3 Drive to Etreat, hike the cliffs, relax. Drive to Fecamp, visit Palais Bendictine, enjoy. Arrive in Honfleur by late afternoon. ON Honfleur

Nov 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM

Dig, Our itinerary was very ambitious and would not recommend it. We picked up the car at CDG, drove to Giverney where we arrived around 10am. Stayed about 2 hours, drove to Rouen, walked around for a while.

Then drove to Honfluer, checked in and went out to dinner. Had the best meal of our whole trip at a one star Michelin restaurant in Honfluer.

By the time we went to sleep we had been up over 24 hours. I remember fighting the desire to sleep. My fiancee was driving and he was struggling too.

Now when we travel to Europe we will drive no longer than two hours.

We finally dropped into bed and ended up sleeping till noon. That pissed me off because we lost the morning to walk around. We are always on the go and I try to pack in alot.

If you go to Giverny try to get there as soon as they open or late in the day. I am a photographer so I like the light at this time. You will also miss the bus loads of the tourists too.

Gail
Nov 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM

The drive to Etretat is a fairly long one, leaving you not much time for the scenic journey to Honfleur.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
DiG
Original Poster

Underhill, we're planning on staying 2N in Honfleur. If we left Giverny on D2 and went directly to Honfleur, would we have time that afternoon to go up to Etreat?

I haven't put in the bases to see the driving distances & times yet.

We're thinking of spending D3 enjoying
Honfleur, and doing a boat tour or excursion. We're mariners and would love to spend some time on the water.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM

Not having hold baggage going to or through CDG is probably a good idea. I found myself in San Salvador, having travelled from Manchester UK with my hold bag still at CDG. If AA could deliver me on time over some 5K miles, why could Air France not deliver my bag the 300 or so miles to Paris in time to catch my onward flight?