Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome to Venice- is flying there worth the time savings?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We land in Rome at 10:00 a.m. - would like to salvage the day by getting to Venice quickly. The flights are $175 each - there are 2 adults and 2 college students in our party. I figured we'd already be at the airport so less hassle than first travelling to the train station, not to mention however much the cost of transfer for 4 of us are. And I assume that leaving 3 hours after landing is enough time to get through Customs and onto an Alitalia flight?

So my question is - how hard is it to get from FCO to Termini? And what's the best,way there? How long a trip from the airport is it? And what is the real cost (counting transfers) for the 4 of us? Then I can see if flying is really worth it.

I also suppose I need to know how much a water taxi is to get from Venice airport to San Marco Square or thereabouts.

Thanks - I appreciate any advice you guys can give!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM
ira

Hi hp,

Taking the express from FCO to Termini is about 11E pp. A cab is about 50E total.

Train fare is at www.trenitalia.com

Water taxi to Venice is about 80E for the boat.

Alilaguna water shuttle is about 12E pp.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 07:47 AM

There is a direct express train from FCO to Termini. My recollection is that the cost is about 15€ per person.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Since you are already at the FCO airport, it may be cheaper to fly rather than take the train. It appears you'll be buying separate tickets so you have to leave your self time to recheck your luggage if applicable. If you were already downtown, the train may be the better way - see: http://tinyurl.com/plane-train

But you're at the airport... so let's look at the costs of the transfer by train. First, the fixed-rate taxi fee from FCO to Roma Termini is currently 40€ for up to four people and their luggage - see: http://tinyurl.com/Rome-fixed-rate

Since the Leonardo Express ( http://tinyurl.com/FCO-LE )is 14€ each, thus I would suggest you take a Roma taxi into town. Probably just as quick, especially if you don't have to wait on the the Leonardo Express to depart. There are less expensive options such as the Terravision bus, Cotral bus, or SITBus Shuttle - see this post: http://tinyurl.com/FCO-depart - but the taxi may be the easiest. So anywhere from 16€ - 56€ to get to Roma Termini Station, depending on the route you take.

The trains are variable rates. there are MINI fares available but I'd not recommend purchasing in advance on the day you are flying. Your ticket could be worthless if you are delayed. So you'll have to pay BASE price. You could purchase tickets at a counter or at one of the many kiosks - see: http://tinyurl.com/buy-tickets-2011

The train will drop you off in the west side of Venice. You can walk, ride a vaparetto, or book a water taxi upon your arrival.

By Air, once you get to Venice, you can ride the Alaguna water bus, a private water taxi, or take wither of the cheap 5€ land buses to Piazzale Roma, close to the train station.

If you cannot get your luggage transferred (via a code-share), then you will have to go through immigration (passport control), wait for your luggage, exit security, re-check on your next flight, go back through security, and then head to your gate. Carry-on or code-sharing sure sounds good after looking at that journey. These posts may give you some insight into arriving at FCO from the States: http://tinyurl.com/FCO-arrive and http://tinyurl.com/t3-baggage

Three hours would certainly be enough time if your first flight is one time and your luggage does not get lost! You could make a one-hour connection if you were just doing carry-on luggage or code-sharing your baggage. If so, you could just go from the passport control area via the "transit" route to your next gate.

Hope that provides you a few answers- Good Luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
ekc

One issue you don't have to potentially deal with if you take the train is lost luggage. Last year we flew from Rome to Venice (not my choice) with my inlaws, and their luggage ended up in Pisa instead of Venice, which required a drive back to the Venice airport from our hotel in Asolo to retrieve it. If you take the train it is with you the whole time!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much, especially rineurope! I am not sure how to arrange a "code share" since I already booked our Rome/NYC roundtrip flights... any idea?
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Flying jet lagged is not much fun personally take a night or 2 in Rome in nice place and train up nicer more scenic. But
flying if you are in a hurry possible and will not cost much more but prepareto be very tired. Training after a rest always lots more fun for me.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Are you thinking of purchasing 4 new air tickets to Venice separate from the flights you've already booked to Rome? On a different airline?

What will you do if your plane lands in Rome several hours late?

Remember you will also have to collect your luggage, check in at a new gate, and go back through security to make your flight to Venice.

If you can rebook your Rome/NYC tickets to include a flight to Venice on the same ticketing route, then your ticket seller has a responsibility to get you on a flight to Venice if your flight from the US lands too late. If you buy your own tickets, independent of the transatlantic tickets, if the plane to Venice takes off without you, tough. You'll be paying for new air tickets or train tickets.

I suggest you take the train.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM

PS: You can buy your train tickets to Venice at FCO. All you need to do is get on the train, and then switch in Termini. It's not a huge hassle. Beats going through airport security again, and then having the hassle of getting from the Venice airport to Venice. Your train from Rome pulls into Venice.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
a quick summary of the above:

cost of train - €40 cab from airport to Termini [ie €10 each] plus base train fare, €76 = €86

cost of plane - airfare say €50 pp [easy jet presently have a fare of about €25 each way for February] plus €5 pp for the bus, or up to €100 for a water taxi, ie €25 each. total = [say] €50

so the plane is likely to be cheaper, but yo have the stress of no knowing whether you'll make the connecting flight, and then getting from the airport into Venice.

OTOH as Zeppole says the train will always be there, and you arrive in the centre of Venice. and you have the fun of a train journey.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!