Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Normandy and Provence Accommodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/normandy-and-provence-accommodations-979457/)

dhack May 28th, 2013 08:08 AM

Normandy and Provence Accommodations

Hello, Fodorites!
Next spring I will be traveling to France with 3 other women (all of us are retired teachers). Our plan is to spend 3 nights in the Normandy area and visit the Normandy beaches and Monet's gardens. After that, a week in Provence, followed by 3 nights in Paris.

After reading many of the posts, I had originally considered staying in Vernon at The Hermitage B&B, where we'd be able to walk to Monet's gardens/house and use that as a base to visit the Normandy Beaches and explore the area. (this has 2 BRs with 2 beds in one room and 1 small bed in the other room)

Next, we'd like to visit Provence. Messages on the boards indicate that St. Remy might be a good town to use as a base. I've looked into houses for rent for the week and checked out the vrbo website.

Here is where I could use some help:

We're not wealthy (remember - retired teachers) but are comfortable and would like to travel comfortably. That means having 4 beds and 2 bathrooms. We can share rooms, but would prefer to have our own beds and have ensuite bathrooms.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for lodging in Normandy and in St. Remy. We're open to hotels, B&Bs, vrbo, etc. Price range would be dependent on the accommodations. We're willing to spend a little more for comfort. It doesn't have to be 5*, but clean, quiet, and accessible to the area. In St. Remy we would prefer to be in town or in walking distance to town.

It's a year away, but I'd like to reserve something now if we find a good deal on the right accommodations. I'll post about Paris accommodations in another thread.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

StCirq May 28th, 2013 08:13 AM

How will you be getting around? Vernon is not a suitable base for visiting the Normandy sites.

As for pricing, if you specify a budget, in euros, that always makes it easier for people to make recommendations.

Gretchen May 28th, 2013 08:21 AM

For Normandy use Bayeux. The Hotel Bayeux is a very nice and VERY VERY economical hotel. There is a car park with it. It is squeaky clean and you could get two rooms economically.
Vernon is not at all close to the beaches.
I assume you'll have a car?
Probably best to see Normandy with a car. Then train to Provence and rent again there.

dhack May 28th, 2013 08:23 AM

We will have a car in the Normandy area, take the train to Avignon, then rent a car for the week we are in Provence. After that, train back to Paris, and use public transportation from there.

The problem with specifying a budget is that we have an overall budget for the trip, but not for each individual day or location. We will probably need to spend more for accommodations in Paris, so would want to spend less in the other areas. As a starting point (where I could be swayed to other points of view and price points) let's say 100 euros or less per night in Normandy for each of 2 rooms (2 people per room) and less than 1500 euros for a house for a week in St. Remy that would have 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, and be in walking distance to town. Does that help?

trvlgirlmq May 28th, 2013 08:47 AM

For a week-long house rental I have had good luck with www.homeaway.com. You can specify number of bedrooms, bathrooms, cost, etc. We rented from an English couple summer 2011 in the Brittany area.

I have already confirmed 2 week-long rentals for summer 2014 in Normandy and Dordogne so it's not too early. We also received this years pricing for booking early.

amamax2 May 28th, 2013 09:49 AM

Are you starting by car from Paris to the Normandy region? If so, go to Giverny on your way North. It is not far from Paris and makes a nice stop to break up the trip. You *might* also have time to stop at the Caen Peace Museum, too.

The suggestion to stay in Bayeux is spot on for a visit to the WW2 Beaches, plus you can see the gorgeous cathedral and the tapestry while there.

dhack Jun 26th, 2013 11:51 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful responses! I think we've found a house through vrbo for the week in St. Remy. Although I usually like to stay several nights in any one location, it looks like we'll stay one night in Vernon, then take your suggestion of staying in Bayeux for two nights before heading south. Little by little, things are falling into place!

dhack Jun 26th, 2013 11:51 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful responses! I think we've found a house through vrbo for the week in St. Remy. Although I usually like to stay several nights in any one location, it looks like we'll stay one night in Vernon, then take your suggestion of staying in Bayeux for two nights before heading south. Little by little, things are falling into place!

tom18 Jun 26th, 2013 01:28 PM

I'm curious where you're taking the train from to get to Avignon from Normandy. Looks like you'd have to go back to Paris, maybe change stations, and then train to Avignon from there.

joannyc Jun 26th, 2013 05:02 PM

While in Vernon, the old mill is a great photo op!

https://www.google.com/search?q=vern...w=1024&bih=672

Gretchen Jun 26th, 2013 06:09 PM

I might actually suggest a little longer in Normandy by at least a day or so. Your allocation of time seems a bit odd to me.
AND yes, you will have to go to Paris to get the train to Avignon--I think.
You are losing a good bit of travel time with your "travel time" and changing hotels/trains/etc. WHEN is this.

HappyTrvlr Jun 26th, 2013 06:15 PM

I suggest another night for Normandy. Look at Hotel Lion d' Or in Bayeaux.

dhack Jul 30th, 2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! My plan was to rent a car in Paris, drive to Giverny and then to Bayeux, spend 3 nights total in that area, then drive back to Paris to turn in the rental car and take the train to Avignon. There will be a full day of travel between those two areas. Is there ever enough time (and money and vacation days) to see all the sights you want to see in one trip? I've never been to Provence and am excited about spending a week in a vrbo there and using it as a base to explore that beautiful area of the country.

StuDudley Jul 30th, 2013 01:38 PM

I assume that by "Paris" you really mean CDG airport.

Stu Dudley

PhilippeProvence Aug 2nd, 2013 10:13 PM

You might find good info an tips on this blog
theprovencepost.blogspot.fr/
hope that will help