Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Normandy and Brittay: to eat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/normandy-and-brittay-to-eat-616998/)

tangwah May 20th, 2006 04:31 AM

Normandy and Brittay: to eat

HI. Planning a 10 day trip starting in CDG where we'll pick up a car and head north. Been to Burgundy Provence Strasbourg area, Loire several times but never Normandy or Brittany. Love/live to eat well. Enjoy visiting markets and countryside. Would appreciate ideas for my trip. Not really interested in D-Day beaches.Thanks.

Michael May 20th, 2006 07:23 AM

You might be interested in the latter section of this trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34444403

cigalechanta May 20th, 2006 07:36 AM

Normandy and Brittany are oyster heaven to me and also here in New England lobsters are served boiled or steamed, rarely grilled. There, they do fantastic grilled lobsters. Once here in Boston, I tried one at the Summer shack. It was dry. There, they know how to make them succulent.
In Brittany, the crepes are the best. Forget Paris.
In Normany, the calvados outshines any sold in the states, The Camembert cheese, Pont l'Eveque, Port du Salut, Livarot are the famous Norman cheeses to try, nothing like stateside.

murphy89 May 20th, 2006 07:56 AM

There is a crepe place every ten feet in Brittany - so dive in an explore all the savory and sweet combinations your brain can conceive of. Be sure to try the Cidre in Brittany - a sort of alcoholic apple cider that is a specialty of the region. As for great Brittany towns, I recommend you not miss out on: Fougeres, Vitre, Dinan, St. Malo, of course Mont St. Michelle is a standard. Rennes in my opinion is highly underratted - I loved Rennes! Alive with one of the largest student populations in France. Great public gardens, nice old town, expectional little metro.

Best meal I had in France was at Auberge St. Jean...(I hope thats right) in Vitre, red canopy, not far from the castle - unbelievable meal - try the lunch formula for a reasonable price.

Enjoy your trip.

Murph

grandmere May 20th, 2006 07:56 AM

Tartes aux pommes in Normandy and Breton Far (kind of like a clafouti--pudding/cake dessert) in Brittany.

I really enjoyed the cider in Normandy, also.

Underhill May 20th, 2006 12:13 PM

On your way from CDG, stop in the town of Petit Andelys for a meal at La Chaîne d'Or, a beautiful country inn with an exceptional dining room overlooking the river Seine. Marvelous food and a great setting for stretching your legs.

tangwah May 20th, 2006 12:57 PM

Boy, my mouth is watering. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will start going to the gym now.

cigalechanta May 20th, 2006 01:00 PM

For great seafood in Belon, next to Pont Aven, Chez Jacky.

cigalechanta May 20th, 2006 01:02 PM

In Normandy, Les Vapeurs in Trouville, both places not fance, but charming and the freshest you'll ever taste.

jody May 20th, 2006 01:55 PM

If you haven't made hotel reservations, check out Le Bretagne in Questembert ...the rooms are lovely, the cooking sublime...and the chef-owner is a gifted artist whose paintings are exceptional!

tangwah May 21st, 2006 05:46 AM

I was planning to wing it as far as accommodations went, except for the weekends when it will be wiser to book a room. It worked for other trips but that was during April and Sept, perhaps not too wise in June? It will be my first time in Europe in June.
Will google Le Bretagne in Questembert. Thanks.

Underhill May 21st, 2006 12:57 PM

A Michelin two-rosette restaurant that we liked very much is Jean-Pierre Crouzil, in the pleasant little town of Plancoët. Crouzil also operates a small hotel with delightful rooms at moderate prices.

Francophool May 21st, 2006 03:48 PM

My best Normandy dining memory was of the marvelelous dinner we enjoyed at the Manoir du Butin, a lovely country inn just outside of Honfleur.

cigalechanta May 21st, 2006 03:58 PM

We had dinner one night at the St Simeon. It was very good but we had more fun dining harborside in Honfleur.
In Pont Aven, the food at the Moulin de Rosemedec...Miam!!!

Keith May 22nd, 2006 06:13 AM

In Saint-Malo, A la Duchesse Anne has great food and a very nice atmosphere.

Just inside the old city wall.

Keith

tangwah May 22nd, 2006 06:47 AM

I truly appreciate the feedback.
Any idea about market days etc? any chance they will be like those in Provence? In Italy I've stayed at agritourism farms, are there similar places that are recommended in Normandy or Brittay? Would love to stay at a farm that makes the famous Normandy butter.

vedette May 22nd, 2006 07:23 AM

Almost due south of Houlgate, the village of Beuvron-en-Auge is stunningly charming. It is used in lots of movies, ads, etc. Two good restaurants there - La Boule d'Or and Le Pave d'Auge. The latter has Michelin star.

Due south of Beuvron-en-Auge, is St-Pierre s/Dives. The monday market there is the best I have seen for food, better even than Apt in Provence.

SemiMike May 22nd, 2006 03:47 PM

We have had two pleasant meals, on different trips, in an unassuming-looking place east of Caen: L'Auberge Les Peupliers in Giberville.

Dave_in_Paris May 23rd, 2006 12:34 AM

Here is arguably the best restaurant in Brittany, a Michelin 2-star, great food! - in a hotel on the sea with fantastic views from the dining room and semi-private terraces:

http://www.hoteldecarantec.com/

jody May 23rd, 2006 02:10 AM

La Boule d'Or, in Beuvron en Auge also has a few bedrooms. The town holds a cider festival in October that is fun to attend. As I recall it's the last week-end...but if you are in the area check it out