Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Nonsmoking cars - Austrian trains (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/nonsmoking-cars-austrian-trains-35109/)

julie Dec 1st, 1998 01:30 AM

Nonsmoking cars - Austrian trains

Please comment on the availability of nonsmoking cars/seats in 2nd class. I don't mind traveling 2nd class, as long as we can reserve seats (where possible) and sit in nonsmoking. We will be a party of 4. Has anyone any first hand information on what to expect in Austria? Thanks...

Richard Vicek Dec 1st, 1998 08:00 AM

Good morning, Julie <BR>You will find that intercity trains within Austria and also within Europe have both 1st and 2nd Class Cars, these <BR>divided into smoking and non-smoking <BR>compartments. However the exception to this is the small commuter trains that can be only 2nd class, but again are <BR>divided. You can purchase a seat suppliment for a specific day, and train <BR>which will assure seating where you wish. <BR>Normally we obtain these along with our tickets, however in Italy can not be purchased out of the country. It is most practical to purchase all your rail tickets and suppliments upon arrival in EUR. Richard of Hickory Hills, Il... <BR>

Julie Dec 3rd, 1998 01:52 AM

Thanks for the information. And those who have been on these trains, have you generally found an adequate number of nonsmoking seats in 2nd class (and had no problem reserving them when the train accepted reservations). Or were these seats hard to come by in 2nd? Just trying to determine if we will be happy with 2nd class passes. It's not the luxury that counts but the smokefree ride and sitting together as a family IS important as we have young children!

May Dec 6th, 1998 03:57 AM

I travelled through Austria by train last summer and never made a reservation. I didn't have any problems finding seats in 2nd class/non-smoking. The only hitch might be finding four seats together if you are catching the popular routes. I remember getting on the train at Kufstein to Vienna and found it very crowded. I did manage to find a seat but it would have been difficult finding four seats together. It's much easier to choose seats if you get the very early morning train or if you are catching the train at the beginning of its route. But if you are catching the train midway through its route, it might be slightly more difficult.

Ben Haines Dec 6th, 1998 10:19 AM

I don't smoke, and dislike smoke, am on Austrian trains pretty well each year, and have not the least trouble in finding suitable seats. It may be that smoking is allowed on restaurant cars: I can't rtemember. But if so, it was not oppressive. Smoking is not allowed in any sleeper or couchette in Western Europe. <BR> <BR>On all distant and express trains in Austria you can book seats, and for both classes. <BR> <BR>First class may be justified on one train, the Transalpin, as it has a first clsss observation car for seeing the Alps. Westbound from Vienna at 0920, eastbound from Zurich at 0933 and from Innsbruck at 1319. <BR> <BR>Somebody may have told you all this, but my software is not letting me read the 3 replies you are said to have had. <BR> <BR>Please write again if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>