Non-touristy things in Italy/Paris

May 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Non-touristy things in Italy/Paris

I am going to Paris, Dijon, Zurich and then over to Italy in September. I have been to Rome, Zurich & Paris before and did all the major tourist sites. What are some non-touristy things to do, or events to go to? Or even restaurants? I'd rather have a go-with-the-flow vacation instead of waiting in 4-hour lines this time. Any recommendations?
May 7th, 2004, 06:11 AM

If the weather is fair, head out to the Baggatelle Gardens in the Bois de Boulongue, and have lunch at the Jardins de Bagetelle...wonderful outdoor dining.

May 7th, 2004, 07:45 AM

For Paris search things you did or saw in Paris when you've already been there many many times.
May 7th, 2004, 07:49 AM
rex

Going to Walmart in France is distinctly non-touristy. Most laundromats are very non-touristy.

But do you instead mean things that appeal to tourists from France or other European countries but draw very small crowds, and hardly any other Americans?

In that case, here is a resource that I always enjoy looking through: http://www.timeout.com/paris/intagenda.html

Best wishes,

Rex
May 7th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

By non-touristy I mean I'd like to go to an out-of-the-way restaurant that isn't in every tour guide book, for example. Since I don't know Paris at all, I don't know where the cute parts of the city are. It's like if you go to NYC as a tourist, you will have no idea that the west village is the best part of the city unless someone who has been there tells you. You just stay in Times Square the whole time.
May 7th, 2004, 09:04 AM
cmt

WHERE (what regions(s)) in Italy are you going? If we knew your tentative plans we might be able to suggest things in that area.
May 7th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Singletail

If you've already "done" Zurich then I suggest you hop on a train and spend the hour or less riding down to Lucern..pretty city, etc., and leave that guidebook behind..don't thinbk you'll regret it. See the Jesuit Church, feed the swans in the Reuss and walk over the covered bridges. Enjoy.

May 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. In Italy we are going to rome, venice, and Florence - if I remember correctly, venice itself is nothing but a tourist trap but that's ok b/c I love it anyway. We are going to zurich simply b/c it's a good place to stop going from Dijon to Italy, lucerne is a good suggestion. I am mainly concerned with Rome and Paris - they are huge cities that I would love to figure out.