Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Non-touristy resturants in Rome and Sorrento (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/non-touristy-resturants-in-rome-and-sorrento-405997/)

jerryp Mar 2nd, 2004 06:57 PM

Non-touristy resturants in Rome and Sorrento

Hello,

I'm making to Italy in May. I'll be staying in Sorrento for 7 days and Rome for four. Since this is my second time is Sorrento and third in Rome, I'm looking for off the beaten path resturant advice.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

JuneAnn Mar 3rd, 2004 04:52 AM

Rome: Osteria St Ana on Via della penna. If I have the address wrong, the restaurant is across from the Hotel Locarno near the Piazza Popolo. It is wonderful and not at all a tourist spot. Don't look to order from the menu but rather ask for their specials that day,

rbrazill Mar 3rd, 2004 05:26 AM

Sorrento: L'Osteria del Buonconvento, Vai B. Donnorso, 5/7. Excellent seafood, the owner is very gracious.

rex Mar 3rd, 2004 06:08 AM

Rome is constantly filled with tourists; the largest number come from Italy, and the second largest fraction come from other countries in Europe. A restuarant that is not serving any or many tourists in perhaps not serving very good food, or doing something wrong.

That said, there may be more restaurants in Trastevere (across the Tiber, in Rome) that get "less overrun" by tourists, and cater to the tastes of locals and other Europeans visting the city.

Best wishes,

Rex

Weadles Mar 3rd, 2004 07:00 AM

Sorrento: Luna Due in the old town. Also, wander down to the old port ( follow the narrow road past the Hotel Bellevue Syrene) and have a cappucino or cafe at one of the restaurants by the sea. When we were there, there were artists setting up for the day to paint landscapes, as well as a few jugglers and musicians.

And, last but not least! if you have a car and don't mind a ride,( I'm guessing it would be just under an hour) go to Montepertuso ( small village about fifteen minutes away from Positano) and try the wonderful food at either IL RITROVO or DONNA ROSA. Both of these places are popular, and you'll need to call well ahead.

Good luck!

MFNYC Mar 3rd, 2004 07:46 AM

In Rome, Mario's on Via Del Moro in Trastevere. Locals took me there over 20 years ago. 3 years ago when I was visiting with my family, I found it again. It was a Friday night and filled with local families. It's nothing fancy, but great food at very reasonable prices. My son wanted to go back there every night.

LauraB Apr 9th, 2007 02:54 PM

Sorrento: If you are looking for great food without the frilly, a place where the locals go, then O' Sole Mio, Via Parsano 16, is what I would recommend. Anna Maria is 3rd generation owner. Small first floor with an open hearth lets you watch your food being prepared. The second floor has large tables and a curved ceiling that will let you wish you were Michaelangelo. House wine is great, too. Brag about the food, and Anna Maria just might give you some Lemoncello of Italian cookies. My husband and I really loved this place and can't wait to go back.
Enjoy!
LauraB

dina4 Apr 9th, 2007 06:41 PM

a friend who lives in Rome recommended these 2 restaurants and they were both AMAZING...

Pierluigi -- seafood near Camp de Fiori
Casina Valadier -- in the Borghese Park

LoveItaly Apr 9th, 2007 06:49 PM

This thread was written in 2004! I too have sometimes not noticed the date when responding to a question but how did this thread get pulled up? But perhaps some new travellers to Rome and Sorrento will be able to enjoy the information in the new posts.

dina4 Apr 9th, 2007 07:01 PM

oops!!