Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Non-touristy neighborhood to stay in Rome?
Notices

Non-touristy neighborhood to stay in Rome?

Feb 6th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Non-touristy neighborhood to stay in Rome?

My husband and I will be in Rome & Tuscany the middle of March, and want to find a non-touristy place to stay in Rome. We don't mind having to travel a few minutes to get to shops or food, we just want to be in an area that isn't just full of other Americans. As cliche as it sounds, we want to experience Rome like a native, not a tourist (as much as is possible). Any ideas? We'd prefer a bed & breakfast, or rental. We'll be in Rome for three days & then Tuscany, so I'm not sure if we'd be there long enough to rent an apartment. Thanks for the help!
Feb 6th, 2013, 06:24 PM

Maybe look into Prati or the Giancolo?
Feb 6th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Do you speak Italian? Maybe check into sites that Italians use; that would kind of guarantee that you get local input. If you can't handle that, you can't handle the whole "like a native" thing to begin with and are going to be pegged as tourists no matter what you do.
Feb 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Without any question you want to stay in Trestevere. Check out the Hotel Santa Maria. Inexpensive hotel. nice clean rooms. But has a spectacular courtyard with orange trees, and every day they serve fresh olives and some charcuterie. Its in the middle of these small windy streets. Just the opposite of touristy. Stayed there for my honeymoon. Would never think of staying anywhere else. Just can be hard to get room. We walked everywhere. Plus, all the great authentic restaurants are right there. Good luck!

Search this Thread