Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Non-Stop flights to Italy in June (from Washington DC)

Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am trying to decide on INTO Rome and OUT OF Venice OR INTO Venice and OUT of Rome. I have already read many suggestions on this, but there is one thing I haven't really seen addressed. We will be going in June from Washington, DC. I am hoping to get a non-stop flight, at minimum on the leg INTO Italy. This is because I'd like my two small children to sleep as much as possible on the way into Italy without being woken to change planes. I am assuming it will be more likely to find a non-stop INTO Rome and less likely INTO Venice. Does anyone know if a non-stop into Rome is more likely than Venice? Thank you!
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM

Your guess is reasonable but why are you asking here instead of checking it yourself on Kayak or Travelocity?
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Think also about the get up times for the flight back, historically Venice has you getting up very early but check options
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:59 AM

Search on http://matrix.itasoftware.com - use the "Washington DC - all airports" and Venice - all airports" feature, the Multicity feature inputting Wash.-Venice then Rome-Wash. and see what there is.

Then do it in reverse.

The main reason why we recommend flying into Venice rather than Rome is this: In Venice, all you can do is walk walk walk, precisely what is recommended for jetlagged people coming off a long transatlantic flight.

However, when there are children involved, all bets are off and you must do what you feel is best for them.

Departure times from Venice can be awkwardly early, so - again - look it all up.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

There are so many airlines and flights and layover spots showing at this time that it is a bit overwhelming. I was also not sure if all flights for June would be showing by this time or not. I kind of wanted to get our general schedule of cities lined up so I could line up the hotels of my choice now and then fit in the flight 3 to 4 mos. out, which I hear is a good time for the best fares. I guess I was wondering if there was kind of rule of thumb like, 'more likely to find a direct into Rome, but less likely into Venice.'

At the moment Kayak has 2,500 flights and no non-stops. Am I missing something? I wondered if more would show up (maybe a non-stop?) as time went on. I've been a few times years ago non-stop, maybe there are just fewer in this economy?

Sorry,I don't MEAN to be asking something I could find out easily on my own, I just feel like I'm not getting a good picture of the situation.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM

I am sure there are nonstop flights from Dulles to Rome, so I can say that it is more likely than Venice.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:09 AM

It looks like United has non-stop service to Rome. Leaves at 5:35pm and arrives at 8:30am.

There are no non-stops from the DC area into Venice. The closest is non-stop from Philadelphia into Venice (6:45pm-9:15am) via US Airways.

I like to use the site that michelhuebeli suggests to find flights and then go to the airline website to book. It makes non-stop flight shopping easy.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Good advice, zoecat. I'm in DC and often go to PHL for non-stops available from IAD. PHL has non-stops to both Rome and Venice. A great option if you are in DC or MD close to I-95.

PHL is a little over 2 hours from DC and a little over 90 minutes from the BWI area. You might consider just going out of and back home to PHL for your open-jaw. Just a thought.

OTOH, If you live in Virginia, then IAD is probably better with a layover somewhere in Europe for for the Venice flight.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:45 AM

..."I often go to PHL for non-stops NOT available from IAD..."
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM

The only non-stop to Italy I am aware of, currently, is Rome. The Milan nonstop was shut down a while ago.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I am hoping to get a non-stop flight, at minimum on the leg INTO Italy. This is because I'd like my two small children to sleep as much as possible on the way into Italy without being woken to change planes.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM

I too recommend flying home from Rome rather than Venice for the reason Bilboburger offers: many flights from Venice connecting to the US leave insanely early, it is not simple to get to the airport at tha hour, the airport is minimally staffed, and it can be packed. All are recipes for frustration. Kybourbon's advice on leaving later is also excellent.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Additional to my earlier reco re Matrix - use the "nearby" airports feature, you can set the distance in miles, and if you set it really high for Venice, you get flights to both Venice and Rome displayed - uncheck all those you don't want to consider, and you get to entire picture.

Do the same with the outbound flight - you can get PHL and even EWR and LGA and JFK all displayed together.