Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   non-smoking sections (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/non-smoking-sections-378357/)

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 02:26 PM

non-smoking sections

Are any non-smoking sections in restaurants in Europe or Asia? Has anyone got any recommendations?

Dave_ Nov 23rd, 2003 02:33 PM

I'm not sure I totally understand your question. Are you asking if any restaurants in the Europe or Asia have non-smoking sections?

Marilyn Nov 23rd, 2003 02:33 PM

In my experience in Europe, they are few and far between, and usually "token" in that while you may not have someone right next to you lighting up, you may very well have people smoking quite nearby. I do think the situation is slowly changing.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-smoking section in a restaurant in Asia, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Good luck!

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 03:04 PM

For example, I was recently in London. At the restaurant, Bunch of Grapes Pub, on Brompton Street (down the street from Harrod's) the upstairs was non-smoking. I am trying to compile a list of places, anywhere on the planet other than the U.S., that have non-smoking sections.

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 03:07 PM

Marilyn, Attitudes about smoking our changing in Europe albeit not at the pace of the U.S. I read an article on BMI airlines about Tony Blair's concern about how much people in the U.K. and how much it is costing the economy. There are also many anitsmoking organizations in Europe. The seeds have been planted.

rocco Nov 23rd, 2003 03:08 PM

From a recent trip I noticed that more restaurants than not had no smoking sections. But, as the poster above mentioned, they are token and you may have a voracious smoker at the table next to you. Kind of like in the U.S., about 10 year ago. It was still very unappetizing. Try Europe in about a decade for some real relief.

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 03:13 PM

Rocco, I can't believe you said it was smoking in Europe is like the U.S. ten years ago. That is exactly what I told someone I know who is totally an anitsmoker and she smoked for over 30 years. I might have to wait a decade before going overseas. I find the smoking unacceptable and intolerable. Luckily, there are many sights in the U.S. I haven't seen.

AnneO Nov 23rd, 2003 03:18 PM

I am also very sensitive to smoke. Had lots of trouble in Paris, but not in Vienna, Salzburg or Venice. The Chow! Venice restaraunt guide for Venice details the smoking situation at each place...apparently public places in Italy (or maybe just Venice??) have new non-smoking area rules going into effect in 2004. I certainly don't think you need to avoid Europe just because of the smoke...just be creative and willing to look for places with true non-smoking rooms. Everyone told us "oh, you'll just be in rooms with other Americans"...not true. We ate only at places that had separate non-smoking rooms, and they seemed to be filled only with locals.

Anne

mvor Nov 23rd, 2003 03:40 PM

http://www.smokefreeworld.com/

This website lists smokefree dining, entertainment and travel worldwide along with user reviews.

Marilyn Nov 23rd, 2003 03:43 PM

cynthia, I've been traveling to Europe for about 30 years, and believe me the situation has changed a lot. As you said, the seeds have been planted. I do not think concern about smoke filled restaurants is a reason not to go to Europe.

Perhaps you might start with England, where you can certainly find health food or vegetarian restaurants in most major cities. These places are likely to be non-smoking, or at least have non-smoking sections. Just stay out of the pubs!

Pat2003 Nov 23rd, 2003 04:06 PM

Here is one post for you

Le Florimond restaurant in Paris - nonsmoking as of October 6th

Author: Wildflower
Date: 11/05/2003, 08:36 am
Message: Just returned last night from our wonderful trip to Dordogne and Paris and would like to share this great news with those who are always looking for non-smoking restaurants in Paris. Like always we had there a great meal.
Are there any more non-smoking restaurants in Paris? We would like find out about them before our next trip in May.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: JonJon
Date: 11/05/2003, 08:45 am
Message: Does this mean that smoking will not be allowed..at all...in this restaurant or have they established a non-smoking section? I often find the latter in Europe to be woefully ineffective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Wildflower
Date: 11/05/2003, 09:23 am
Le Florimond is a very small restaurants and a whole place is non-smoking. There is not any section or even one table that has been designated to smokers. This place is for NON-Smokers only

Gavin Nov 23rd, 2003 04:16 PM

Smoke in restaurants is my least favourite aspect of being in Europe. When in London recently I was pleasantly surprised to not be smoked out once in the whole visit. I distincly remember being surpised to be asked smoking or non at a busy restaurant. And the non was really not smokey.

Pat2003 Nov 23rd, 2003 04:27 PM

How about dining in Le Florimond in Paris since it is a non-smoking restaurants and food is excellent.

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 04:35 PM

AnnO Thanks for the non-smoking info on Vienna, Salzburg and Venice. I will put them on the top of list to go after my trip to Beijing.

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 04:37 PM

mvor www.smokefree.com is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks.

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 04:42 PM

I want to thank everyone who gave advice and names of resturants. They are noted and filed. When anyone goes anywhere and comes a restaurnat/bar that has a non-smoking section, feel free to e-mail me.

666 Nov 23rd, 2003 05:13 PM

Here are the restaurants with non-smoking sections that I have come across.
London - Yo! Sushi is total nonsmoking. I got the tip from Rick Steves.

London - Bunch of Grapes Pub has a second floor that is nonsmoking but opens at 5:00 p.m. It is on Brompton Street down the block from Harrods.

Paris - Leon de bruxlles (spelling), a cafe is a popular chain and has large nonsmoking sections and English menus.

Paris - Bofinger, a brasserie is near the opera and has a nonsmoking room, English menus and very good food.

amp322 Nov 23rd, 2003 05:30 PM

From my experience, there are many restaurants in Europe with non-smoking areas. However, you will very possibly encounter some smoke wafting through the restaurant into your area.

suzy Nov 23rd, 2003 10:46 PM

Just back from Italy (Rome, Florence, Lucca). This trip we were delighted to find so little smoking in restaurants. Either there was no smoking allowed (some restaurants didn't even have ash trays) or people just weren't smoking.
In a couple of restaurants, there were separate rooms for smokers and non-smokers - the non-smokers' rooms were full and the smokers' rooms almost empty.

ira Nov 24th, 2003 04:34 AM

On our recent trip to Italy we noticed that in most restaurants the majority of people refrained from smoking, even if it was permitted.