Non-smoking rooms in Europe

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-smoking rooms in Europe

I've been checking out B&Bs in Paris and lodgings in Croatia and Slavonia and wonder if non-smoking accommodations exist outside the US. Often the descriptions say something like" the owner will refrain from smoking while you are there," like the whole house doesn't reek. Will I find, especially renting Sobas at the last minute, that we just have to suck it up and inhale sludge?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Yes, they exist all over Europe. But they are easier to find in hotels than in B&B's where is the owner who decides..in Paris most of them are non-smoking for what I've searched.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Like kenderina said, beware of B&B's because they can advertise the room as non-smoking but if they smoke in the rest of the house, then your room will smell of smoke because of the joint ventilation system. This happened to us in Gouda, and I was one miserable gal for two nights. Couldn't do a thing about it. Stuffing an extra blanket under the door didn't even help. I know the Hotel Bonaparte is totally non-smoking. That's where we are staying for a week in September. I didn't want to take any risks with having smoking rooms in the hotel. Again, the ventilation system carries the smoke. Good luck!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.smokefreeworld.com/europe.shtml

Also, if you search on vegetarian B&B accomodations they are typically non-smoking.

Depending on your itinerary you might consider renting a non-smoking apartment--VRBO.com is a good place to look. I definitely think if you want non-smoking rooms, you should consider booking in advance.

(Pack some vanilla candles--they help to mask the smell and also any staleness in the room.)
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:11 PM

accomModations...I'll use the excuse that I leave for France in less than 18 hours but it's really that I'm too tired to proof! Good luck--we hope to include Slovenia in our plans next year.

<b>mkdiebold</b>, I just read your message: are you referring to the Hotel Bonaparte in Paris that Ira recommends (near St. Sulplice)? If so, we stayed there two years ago on an overnight from London and our room (and refrigerator, ick) smelled of smoke (we'd requested a non-smoking room but I don't think, at that point anyway, the non-smoking rooms were dedicated as such). Hopefully if we're talking about the same hotel then they have a new policy.

BTW, the hotel staff are lovely and the location/price can't be beat.