non-smoking lodging in Paris 5 nights in late May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We are trying to find a good place to stay for the 5 of us in Paris. We're all asthmatic so need a place that is non-smoking. Unfortunately, the hotel we tried to book through Rick Steve's book doesn't have non-smoking rooms. Any suggestions? We're arriving on the 22 and leaving on the 27. We could either use two rooms or one larger room for the four of us.
Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Every hotel in France by law has to be non-smoking so something is amiss here - hotels cannot have smoking rooms to my knowledge

My son was a smoker and on Dec 31, 2008 (or 2007) stayed in a hotel at CDG airport and the desk said it was the last day anyone could smoke in a French hotel.

I may be wrong but do not think so. and there is no smoking in any public place - cafe, restaurant, train stations, etc.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Tons of hotels in Paris now have nonsmoking floors or the entire hotel is nonsmoking. I don't know if all hotels must be entirely nonsmoking, but it wouldn't surprise me. But they sure have lots of nonsmoking rooms, if not. I can't help you on specific rooms for five, though, and don't know your budget. What is it? Last time I was in Paris last Fall, I stayed in two different hotels and both were entirely nonsmoking.

I don't think all hotels must be nonsmoking, as I did stay in one in Toulouse last Fall that had smoking rooms, I remember. It was a Mercure and that was Fall of 2009. I think one cannot smoke in public areas of a hotel, that's all.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant 5 nights for 4 adults. I guess some of the old B&Bs probably still allow smoking. The budget boutique hotel I had booked said it doesn't distinguish between smoking & non-smoking rooms but offered to open the windows & air out the place for us. Since we're all asthmatic and HIGHLY allergic, that wouldn't be enough.

Thanks--sounds like if we book a newer hotel, it should work well, since they should never have allowed smoking.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I thought maybe I was remembering wrong on the Mercure, but this is its current information, and it stays 75 out of 95 rooms are nonsmoking:
http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-1260...on/index.shtml

which means some are smoking.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM

For 5 nights with 4 adults, I would consider renting an apartment. It will no doubt save you money, and I'm sure there are non-smoking apartments.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM

It isn't an issue of a newer hotel, both the hotels I stayed at in Paris were probably 100 years old, at least 50 or more. B&Bs aren't hotels and they can probably do what they want, but there aren't hardly any in Paris, those are just private rooms people rent. I suspect the hotel you are calling boutique may be violating the law. Which one was it?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM

sorry I keep thinking of things -- you didn't state your budget, that would help. But I know this hotel is entirely nonsmoking and moderately priced:

Hotel Muguet in the 7th arr. I think it's a Rick Steves pick.

I think the MErcure chain is pretty picky about keeping entire floors smoking or not.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi! We're HOPING to keep our accommodations around $200/night for the 4 of us, but it seems tough to do in Paris. We were hoping for some guidance in Paris. Don't really know where to stay either. We have a 20 year old & 22 year old with hubby & I. We liked the Rue Cler area because it was so central last time.

Since we have only been in Paris once & it was 15 years ago, we don't know our way around well. We stayed in Rue Cler last time, but the hotel is full this time. It was a hotel mentioned in Rick Steves' Paris book, Hotel de Turenne. Maybe because it's small it the law doesn't apply? I dunno, but it would probably set everyone off & make us unhealthy for the whole trip.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM

The Hôtel de France in the 7ème has quad rooms and is entirely non-smoking, and no, it's not a new hotel (which really has little to do with whether it has non-smoking rooms or not). It's a couple of blocks from the rue Cler. It's nicer than the Hôtel Turenne, which tends to have plumbing issues, but still not pricey. It does not have AC, though, if that's a concern.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

AC is not important to us, as we live in non-AC HI, which is probably MUCH hotter than Paris is likely to get. Thanks--will check this out! We welcome any other suggestions.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Shucks! The Hotel de France isn't showing availability for 5/22 (tho the rest of the nights are available). Have sent them an e-mail & will see what they can offer. Have also sent e-mails to several other hotels. Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Anyone know anything about this hotel? They're offering a junior suite for 180 euros/night. They have been non-smoking for 2 years.
www.hoteldelapaix.com

Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:55 PM

I'm with Palenque...I thought the law was passed a couple of years ago that there can be no indoor smoking. I just searched it and it seems that it's restaurants, bars, airports, office buildings....but I didn't see anything about hotels.

So when you go to a restaurant you don't have to worry.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM

Why don't you rent a flat in Paris.Flats are normally non smoker. I have already rented a flat with http://www.1weekflat.com/ , it was a great experience with a good price.
Have a nice stay in Paris
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM
ira

Hi mom,

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 134E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

They have triple rooms.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful. The front desk is staffed 24/7

They can arrange a shuttle pickup to/from CDG for you.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM
ira

PS,

No smoking in the hotel
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

OK, have sent them a request for reservations & will see what happens. The reviews are positive. Just curious about noise levels, as we're pretty sensitive to noise.
Thanks!
Welcome other suggestions, as we will be there at a tusy time.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

For anyone looking for quad rooms in Paris, this link might be useful. Some of the info may need to be updated, but good place to start.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM

You should be able to find a non-smoking apartment with adequate space and probably two bedrooms at that price, especially with the dollar's strength right now. Do you have a choice of location or places you'd like to be near?

You'd better get cracking to have some options - that's a busy time and many places are already rented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -