My husband and I will be in Paris for three days this Dec. ? first time. Adding this stopover to our trip was a spontaneous decision and one I don?t want to regret, but I?m worried because neither of us speaks French, and I?m wondering if this was a really bad idea. I speak enough German, Spanish and Arabic to get by quite well, and thus haven?t had trouble when traveling in Germany, Mexico and the Middle East. I?ve already stocked up on conversational phrase books and CDs to help us master the basics of French, but I?m quite certain we won?t become fluent in the 6 weeks we have before leaving the US.
It seems like of all places, Paris is not the one to go to if you can?t speak the local language ? from everything I?ve read and heard, it appears to really offend Parisiens if you can?t speak French. I don?t want to get into a debate about that per se. I would just like your advice about restaurants and hotels that are more friendly to visitors who don?t speak French. (I was operating under the assumption that the more touristy areas would be more tourist-friendly and accepting of non-French speakers, but other threads on this board (?french is a dump? etc.) have made me think otherwise.)
Any advice? Was adding this stopover a terrible idea? Is Paris only meant to be enjoyed by those fluent in French?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 2 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 3 London vacation rental agency
- 4 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 5 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 6 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 7 land vs river cruise
- 8 South of France
- 9 Tips for first trip to UK
- 10 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 11 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 12 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 13 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 14 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 15 My France Vacation
- 16 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 17 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 18 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 19 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 20 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 21 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 22 Malaga Christmas lights
- 23 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 24 Your favorite London streets for strolling?
- 25 Planning a Poland itinerary