Noise canceling headphones

Jun 11th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Jeannette

Noise canceling headphones

Has anyone tried noise canceling headphones? We're heading to Italy in a few weeks and I bought a pair to try this weekend on my trip to Boston.

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Bill

Since I bought my Sennheisers two years ago, I won't fly without them. Even if you don't have them plugged in to the aircraft's entertainment system, they cancel out the background noise and make it much easier to relax, sleep, etc.... I make my living as a audio mixer, so to me it's a big deal. If you do plug them in to watch the movie, you'll actually hear the dialog. I'm not sure how well all the models out there work. I can recommend Sennheiser and Bose, but those are on the higher end of the price spectrum ($200-300). There are less expensive ones available, but they may not work as well. If you're not familiar with the theory behind these headphones, there is a microphone on each earpiece. The microphone picks up external sound and then reverses the phase of that external sound causing it to cancel itself out.

Jun 12th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Cass

These sound miraculous, but aren't they bulky? How large are the ear pieces, how much room does the whole thing take up? (And where do you find them? Any chain stores or only specialty shops?)

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:20 AM
james

United has this system built in on some planes. I used it between London and LAX and found it very worthwhile. Don't imagine that it will eliminate all noise though!

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Jeannette

I bought a $50 pair at BestBuy. We do travel a bit so I might invest in a higher end pair if these don't do the job.

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Gerry

What can you use to cancel out noise if you are trying to sleep in a noisey hotel room? Could you sleep with headphones on? Any other suggestions?

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Bill

The Sennheisers are bulkier and a heavier than standard walkman style headphones, but they're fine for just sitting in a plane. The battery pack is slightly larger than the two aa batteries that power the headphones and clips to your belt. I don't find they take a great amount of room to pack, although I do tend to be a bit more careful. The Bose actually cover your entire ear and consequently take up more room. I purchased my Sennheisers from a professional audio dealer in NYC. You can purchase the Bose on their website, www.bose.com. I just checked it and they're offering a 30 day trial period on the headphones.

While very good at cancelling constant bg noise, I don't think this would be the product you'd want for a noisy hotel room. They'd work if the offending noise was traffic rumble, but would not help with horns or sirens. In this case earplugs are still the best solution.

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Larry

Hi, I tried the Bose system on a recent trip to France - I thought they were magical. I wore them for the entire flight each way and slept with them on.
They are large by comparison to current headphones but not uncomfortable.

As mentioned, check out the Bose web site - they have a 30 day return policy.

Jun 15th, 2001, 01:26 PM
gail

Gerry: for hotel room noise try bringing a small "white noise" machine. I have one from Brookstone that takes batteries so you don't need a converter. You can select sounds like "ocean" "stream" "rainfall" etc and vary the loudness. If you put it near you, and between you and the source of the noise (eg the window), I find it works very well - doesn't exactly drown out the other noise but smoothes it over and convinces your brain that that's all it's hearing. I know a number of mail order catalogues sell versions of these.

Jun 15th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Gerry

Thanks Gail. I will check it out.

Jul 12th, 2001, 04:15 AM
David

I got a pair of the Bose noise canceling headphones a year ago and LOVE them!!

They dont cancel all noise, but certian frequencies like the sound of the jet engine on the plane, etc. are greatly reduced.

I combined this with a Nomad Jukebox from Creative Labs (approx $299) which is a 6GB MP3 player... I can take my entire music collection of like 1500 songs with me!

Jul 12th, 2001, 05:07 PM
pat

Jeanette,
I also asked this question (had trouble with the search) and received several responses as well (under tinnitus/headphones). I researched this and found Koss headphones recommended on a few sites for those with tinnitus/ringing ears. These received good ratings, usually one star less than Bose. They cost $200 but are available at Amazon.com for $136 and my pair arrived today. I'll let you know how they work. Good luck.

Aug 12th, 2001, 04:12 PM
pat

Just returned from our family trip to Scandinavia and used the Koss noise reduction headphones on five different flights. They were fantastic. They greatly decreased the hum of the engine and made the audio/movie sound much clearer with far less volume than without them; my kids were begging for their turn. Since i have problems with my ears, I have used them now at home when I am on the computer for a while and they help with that too. Would highly recommend for frequent flyers.

Aug 12th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Elaine

Pat, w.What was the approximate price range of the Koss headphones?

Aug 13th, 2001, 05:41 AM
angel

Interesting announcement : Continental Airlines is eliminating the rental of headphones on all their flights which have entertainment systems . Travelers are encouraged to "bring their own" or you can buy a simple headset for $2!

Aug 13th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Techy Dude

Hello Jeannette. Sony also makes noise cancelling headphones. I believe they handle two differnet models. Bill is exactly right in their operation. Try sonyusa.com or sony.com

Aug 13th, 2001, 02:37 PM
John

I bought a set of Bose headsets specifically for a recent Europeon trip. They worked great! Unfortunately, Sabena and Alitalia both requested that I didn't use them during take-off and landings. I was seated in business class and I tried to explain to both airline's cabin crews that they headsets were FCC approved and that American Airlines provide their first class passengers with Bose headsets didn't work. When I got home, I returned them to Bose with a comment on the problems with the airlines. They were supposed to get their marketing department involved.