Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   No wonder people are leaving in droves (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/no-wonder-people-are-leaving-in-droves-193462/)

tony hughes Oct 1st, 2001 10:24 AM

No wonder people are leaving in droves

Who keeps deleting posts? Someone from Fodors, possibly under instruction from people on this board, seems to ake great delight in deleting anything that they think is controversial - this is nothing short of a disgrace.

curious Oct 1st, 2001 10:27 AM

I couldn't agree with you more Tony. I have been trying to follow and or respond to some threads only to find them missing! It is VERY frustrating. Whomever thinks they have the right to censor the posts and think for the rest of us, PLEASE STOP! If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't deny the rest of us this choice!

Gigi Oct 1st, 2001 10:29 AM

TONY! <BR>How are you? You were one of the people I was thinking of this morning. <BR>We haven't heard much from you lately. <BR>What have you been doing? <BR>Gotta dash to an appointment but will be looking for a reply. Glad to hear from you! <BR>Gigi

Phyllis Stein Oct 1st, 2001 10:34 AM

I also agree with you, Tony. It seems to me that as thinking adults we can read or ignore posts as we choose, without an unseen hand sanitizing what's been written. <BR> <BR>P.S. When I think of something you wrote about scanning hotel glasses for evidence of "ginger beard hairs or other nasties," I still laugh....

xxx Oct 1st, 2001 11:00 AM

Which posts are missing? I haven't noticed any, but I was away all weekend as well. Just curious.

canuck Oct 1st, 2001 11:00 AM

Just curious as to what kind of posts are being deleted...and is this happening lately?

fodors fan Oct 1st, 2001 11:08 AM

Not that I want to admit to reading it or anything, but Rex's thread on the "Fodorites" trip to Italy has been censored very recently (which is surprising, considering the sort of stuff that's in there now)....

xxx Oct 1st, 2001 11:12 AM

I admit it, I read that R*x post and even laughed out loud, but what exactly is missing? And how would you ever remember anyway, gads, it has over 150 responses! You must have excellent recall! :)

Observer Oct 1st, 2001 11:19 AM

It appears Fodor's are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

fodors fan Oct 1st, 2001 11:22 AM

Not excellent recall triple x, I just remember that there were many more dissenting views as to the value of Rex's trip reportage in the early installments, including one that unfortunately made a personal comment about his appearance in the photo he posted. That remark was hard to forget. <BR> <BR>And it's not as if that sort of thing is worth preserving in itself -- I just bristle at the notion that some peculiar form of censorship is being practiced. What next -- deleting posts that differ from the recommendations made in Fodor's travel books? That provoke controversy of any sort? Let opinion run free....

Why Bother Oct 1st, 2001 11:29 AM

I usually don't bother to answer threads like this anymore because they are usually deleted before or shortly after I get a chance to answer. It seems that Fodor's assumes we are not capable of defending ourselves and thus they have the duty to protect us from bad posters. We can be sensitive people. <BR>But one of the reasons for deletion is that the thread is not "about travel" so here's some travel tips. <BR>If you are planning a trip to Afganistan be advised that they do not have freedom of speach there and also remember not to bring the poppies home. Anymore travel tips just to keep this thread "legal".

OIC Oct 1st, 2001 11:51 AM

Yes, it's difficult to understand why Fodor's jumps to delete a name like "Blimpie Bickers" while comments such as those made by the likes of Kikey Kikeman still exist. Guess some people simply have a greater degree of influence over the editorializing that occurs here.

Notice the new language on the initial Fodors Oct 1st, 2001 12:35 PM

Not sure when this was changed, but the top forums page now has a new announcement, stating that Fodors prefers to see only messages regarding TRAVEL. <BR> <BR>And they REQUEST a civil tone and no advertisements. It would appear that the use of the word request indicates that they there is nothing they absolutely forbid. <BR> <BR>There certainly has been plenty that falls way short of a civil tone on certain threads here lately. <BR> <BR>If Tony Hughes is concerned about the disappearance of certain postings, it would probably mean that they were postings he made. <BR> <BR>

curious Oct 1st, 2001 12:42 PM

I too was looking for a post that I wanted to reply to last week but it was deleted. Anyway, what difference does it make if it was his post? All the more reason for not wanting it removed.

Cindy Oct 1st, 2001 01:02 PM

Yes, someone at Fodors has a very quick trigger finger. <BR> <BR>I guess I don't mind so much when potty talk is deleted, but I do think they should think twice before deleting "political" threads having tangentially to do with travel. The thread educating us all about the situation in the Middle East and the one about profiling certain airline passenters certainly concerned the WTC disaster, were interesting and mature, and so should have stayed, IMHO. <BR> <BR>But then, Fodors didn't ask me for MHO.

GoAway Oct 1st, 2001 01:32 PM

I think I speak for most of the generally well-behaved travel aficionados in this forum when I say So Go Already! It's Fodors' board, it's free, it's often a wonderful place to hang out. Fodors owes us NOTHING and as far as I'm concerned they can delete what they want. It's you cardboard commrades that are a disgrace! <BR> <BR>

Little Brother Oct 1st, 2001 01:43 PM

Fodor's is Good! <BR> <BR>Fodor's is Kind! <BR> <BR>Fodor's Knows All! <BR> <BR>All Hail Fodor's! <BR> <BR>Oh Mighty and Wonderful Fodor's delete this and all threads that cause you offense. <BR> <BR>Let us have only Fodor's Speak. <BR> <BR>All Hail Fodor's!

Who??? Oct 1st, 2001 04:05 PM

I don't see them leaving in droves. Many of them are still hanging around.

Clark Oct 1st, 2001 05:40 PM

I noticed too that quite a few posts are missing here that dealt with travel in these uncertain times. Seems Fodor's doesn't want anyone to question travel and if it's safe so they just censor and remove all posts about travel safety issues. All hail Fodor's indeed. Don't think, just go on a trip and buy their books and don't think.

curious Oct 1st, 2001 05:53 PM

Go away, cardboard comrades??? That's a new one! I guess I'll go hang my head in shame as I'm such a disgrace!