Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

no wonder British Airways is in so much trouble! Have you ever tried to book anything with them over the phone?

no wonder British Airways is in so much trouble! Have you ever tried to book anything with them over the phone?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:45 PM
fiona

I made the the unfortunate move of booking a holiday with them and have now spent hours "on hold" listening to 2 verses of one song and having a tape telling me that I am in a queue and will be answered shortly(!!!!) The latest problem is trying to prebook plane seats-phoned Sunday(on hold for 20 mins) - they were phoning back Monday( they didn't)- phoned Tuesday(on hold for 20mins)- told they had only put the query in that day and would phone me tomorrow-they didn't- phoned thursday-on hold for 30 mins at which point I gave up.PHoned office number on Friday,told them all this- promised that someone would phone me back. Guess what??!!!<BR>Anyone beat that or have any suggestions?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:01 AM
fran

I read somewhere that to save money, BA laid off its res agents and uses contract workers now. That could explain the poor service.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:06 AM
fiona

<BR>I phoned again and actually managed to book seats. When I complained about the waiting time the girl was quite nonchalent and said that they were so busy that you HAD to wait half an hour for someone to answer! Doesn't someone think that many will NOT wait and book elsewhere? Fran, I was told that they had 30 people manning the phones. Not a lot for the size of the company is it?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Mel

I found this was the problem with all the airlines--TWA being the absolute worst IMO. That's why I've been booking over the Internet for years. <BR>Fiona, may I ask why you didn't go to BA's site and book that way?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Fiona

Mel<BR>Funnily enough I have just come off their site after emailing a complaint! I will certainly use the site in future!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:31 AM
frances

I once managed to make a dessert for 6 whilst balancing the phone on my shoulder waiting for B.A.'s Executive Club to answer.The girl was suitably bashful and apologetic when I told her!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:43 AM
paul

LOL francis!<BR>can anyone beat that?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Ken

<BR>Maybe it is true -- "without a travel agent you're on your own"<BR><BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Helen

Frances<BR>I'm also good at the phone balancing trick! However,2 weeks ago, I did almost my entire housework before someone answered( apart from the hoovering incase I didn't actually hear them answer!)

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Kevin

booked a holiday with airtours last year and had the same problems- I was at screaming point listening to that ****** tune on hold!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:09 PM
jim

I've not tried to book BA but developed a hernia trying to do so with Lufthansa on line. You can't get there from here! It just ticks me off that the airlines are so perverse in making enemies of their customers. Don't even get me started on American Airlines! Happy flying.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:18 PM
fiona

so BA is not alone!! When will airlines realise that its not them thats doing us a favour by answering! WE are the paying customers!BTW I had to PAY to stay on hold- they don't even have a freephone number!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:22 PM
fiona

Mel<BR>have you ever encountered any problems booking and paying for holidays online? Although I use the internet frequently I have to admit to being wary of giving out credit card details.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:39 PM
annie

was just on hold for 45 minutes and the lady didn't even have the answer to my question. What a waste of time.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Mel

Fiona: I've never had a problem booking on line. You get an e-mail confirmation immediately. The only downside is that you can't--on BA--book your seats online, but most airlines operate that way (except America West). Online, I've booked BA, America West and US Airways quite frequently. I also booked a Go-today package (they were really great to work with--they have a phone number you can call once you've booked online and get all the help you need if you have questions--and they DO man it I've also used Expedia. Never had a problem (I'm knocking wood as I say this, however).<BR><BR>Another advantage to booking online--besides not waiting on the phone--is that they often have bonus mile deals or special "Internet only" discounts.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:27 PM
xxxx

I guess I'm puzzled - is there some reason why anyone would want to sit on hold waiting for someone to speak with them instead of going online to make their reservation?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 07:55 PM
paul

In my case calling the BA agent was a neccessity. Last year they had a special where you recieved $100 toward a hotel room but only if ypu called. No trouble with the agent, but given when I made the reservations it isn't suprising(shortly after 9/11).

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 09:08 PM
BTilke

This has been an eye-opening discussion. Makes me miss Sabena. People criticized them, especially the Brits, but whenever I called to make a reservation I never waited more than a few minutes and usually for less than a minute.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:39 AM
fiona

Mel<BR>thanks! Next holiday will be through the internet!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
Anne

I too have waited over 45 minutes to make a reservation and then hung up in disgust. I found the best time to call is at 7.30 am and with a bit of luck you'll get put through to their Toronto reservations, where they are helpful and polite unlike some of their U.S. reservations agents. BA told me that they are upgrading their computer system worldwide and it will take 6 months!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -